Do i need a new bridge?

wakarb

Stitching on load bearing parts of the harness need to be identifiable from the general stitching that makes up the padding etc. and this is usually done by using a different colour thread for these parts.

HOWEVER the comment about the lines of different colour on the bridge being wear indicators is DANGEROUSLY INCORRECT.

Replace it Pal - ASAP!

correct, + any cuts in the edges of tape above 2% of width should be removed from service, as a general rule of thumb

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stitches: Next, go through all the load-bearing stitching. All load-bearing stitching must be a different color than the fabric it’s sewn into. Industrial rope access guidelines state that a single picked thread is grounds for retiring a harness. This may be a bit harsh, but it should give you a good idea of how little it takes to compromise your harness’s strength. Hse guidelines

Apologies accepted on a postcard

Ben

You don't need to be an expert to know that those 5 yellow stitches aren't the load bearing stitches the hse are referring to. They are referring to stitches that are subject to load, like the white webbed stitches on the right of the photo.

If the bridge of that harness consisted solely of those 5 yellow threads there's not a hope I would climb on it. Very dangerous mis-interpretation of HSE guidelines. Frankly, I'm surprised they didn't elaborate more :sneaky2:

You don't need to be an expert to know that those 5 yellow stitches aren't the load bearing stitches the hse are referring to. They are referring to stitches that are subject to load, like the white webbed stitches on the right of the photo.

If the bridge of that harness consisted solely of those 5 yellow threads there's not a hope I would climb on it. Very dangerous mis-interpretation of HSE guidelines. Frankly, I'm surprised they didn't elaborate more :sneaky2:

Hang on a minute here, that's not the point I was trying to make, all I was pointing out was that load bearing stitching is a different colour, obviously you wouldn't climb on it if it solely consisted of those 5 stitches, cause the 5 stitches ARE load bearing along with the whole of the bridge how would the load be transferred subject to a fall? I shouldnt have said they were indicators in my previous post that's a mistake on my part, apologies.

But im glad to see people picked up my deliberate mistake and corrected me :001_tt2:

Edited by Steve Bullman
language

Opening the photo in an image editing program reveals that exactly 10% of the lateral fibres have been severed, leaving 90% intact.

It would be irresponsible for anyone to recommend that you climb using the bridge. Such a decision would have to be made by the climber that would have to suffer the consequences of a failure.