How do I avoid hassle?

Daniël Bos

you are going into this with the wrong mind set, you will attract negativety by the constant rehearsal of all the problems that you THINK will happen.

If you go their with the label of 'Nice guy who you can constantly moan at and muck about and i will also be patient with your moans ' then guess what??

If you go there with some signs made up to place at your work area .

saying 1 I am £50 an hour, if you want to chat, the clock is ticking and i am all ears.:001_smile:

2 any problems please call the owner on 555 111 555:001_smile:

3 Smile you are on utube.:biggrin:

You could be right, she could make me tea all day....

Or she could make the job hell....

I think I'll put some extra clauses in the quote re losing time dealing with her etc.

oh, and you forgot "4:My eardefenders have an inbuilt radio, I'm not nodding at what you're saying, I have some excellent tunes on on the Ipod":biggrin:

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well all i can say is good luck, this sounds like a nightmare job. As you say always be civil to the point it makes you sick, even if she gets abussive. Always makes me chuckle when someone wants you to fight back and all you do is be super sickly nice and leave them looking like a plonker!:001_tt2:

Perhaps ask your client if it could not wait until the horses are moved and explain your position, if he insists on it being done then you'll have to go with it and cross your fingers it goes ok!:thumbup:

Temporary fence, orange barrier mesh stuff or 2 strands of plain wire, quick and fairly easy to put up, only got to be a temp job - would the landowner contribute to this if he's a decent bloke and understands the problem? Or a sectional fence - some of the stuff they put up round festival sites etc so you can work a section at a time. Could be a hassle though either way, at least the landowner sounds like a good bloke who will know where your coming from.

I had a similar problem pollarding in a horse field, a nightmare to keep them out of the way, they LOVE Willow! In the end I would drag some of the brash a way off to give them something to feast on while I worked quickly. The owner was less than interested in moving them out for a couple of days while the work was done!

Temporary fence, orange barrier mesh stuff or 2 strands of plain wire, quick and fairly easy to put up, only got to be a temp job - would the landowner contribute to this if he's a decent bloke and understands the problem? Or a sectional fence - some of the stuff they put up round festival sites etc so you can work a section at a time. Could be a hassle though either way, at least the landowner sounds like a good bloke who will know where your coming from.

I had a similar problem pollarding in a horse field, a nightmare to keep them out of the way, they LOVE Willow! In the end I would drag some of the brash a way off to give them something to feast on while I worked quickly. The owner was less than interested in moving them out for a couple of days while the work was done!

As horses can be quite daft about fences it would have to be electric tape or similar I think, but I'd have to find a way to make sure the energiser and battery are tamper-proof and secure.

It would take me the best part of 3 weeks work so a quick "in-and-out job" is out of the question.

In all seriousness rover... the woman sounds a crackpot.

If the horses are in the field while you are working they will be over..guaranteed, with some of them careering about.

I'd be willing to bet a fairly modest amount you will have a vet bill like no other come through your door when your finished.

I would be insisting the horses are out of the field or at least cordoned off.

If you take precautions (temporary fencing) to make sure the horsies don't come into contact with you or the brash, and explain if needed to the lady that you are doing it for the sake of the horses how can she argue, there are no alternatives. I had to do a load of post and rail fencing with ponies in not long ago couldn't keep them from chewing the rails, did my head in. ended having to chase them back up the field every hour or so

In all seriousness rover... the woman sounds a crackpot.

If the horses are in the field while you are working they will be over..guaranteed, with some of them careering about.

I'd be willing to bet a fairly modest amount you will have a vet bill like no other come through your door when your finished.

I would be insisting the horses are out of the field or at least cordoned off.

You may be right, I had considered insisting someone other than me erect a fence the required distance away from the hedge to give me a safe working area. This may well be the most sensible option.

As horses can be quite daft about fences it would have to be electric tape or similar I think, but I'd have to find a way to make sure the energiser and battery are tamper-proof and secure.

It would take me the best part of 3 weeks work so a quick "in-and-out job" is out of the question.

True, they are daft with fences, and they will be hungry at this time of year, especially 25 in a 5 acre field :thumbdown:

Obvious / stupid question but is there not another paddock joining on or nearby they could be shifted into, or would that compound the whole issue the owner is having with the tenant?

Electric fencing maybe your only other option then, hiding the energiser / battery unit under a nice pile of thorny brash should keep it fairly safe, especially if your there until dark at this time of year