lowering with carabiners

waitey

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I presume this is all about choking branches with a crab instead of a running bowline. I never did it before last week when someone I sub for told me another climber they use on occasion does it and it's really good and fast etc I think it's just abuse of equipment. It doesn't grip the wood as well and is generally un professional IMO. If people want knotless rigging they should supply a big box of tape slings to choke with.

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.374041,0.481515

just curious has anyone had a karribiner fail when used in this manner??

not saying its right or wrong.

scotty your prob right, tend to use a mixture of all three techniques, just rope , sling and karribiner and the odd bit of karribiner,

also thing there is a PDF doc on this subject somwhere on here.

carl

cheers paul...its bad lighting fine figure of a man usually.

not sure i find karabiners any quicker in tying up.lots of timber gets rigged down here as its mostly removals in the part of van im in and i find they get stuck under the logs on the deck or on the pile.end up either taking them off or pulling till ur red in the face...i can understand if guys find it quicker on branches just dont think its dynamic or that pro.kinda surprised how many guys on here sway towards using them. thought it would b the other way round.what ur brought up using i guess

cheers paul...its bad lighting fine figure of a man usually.

not sure i find karabiners any quicker in tying up.lots of timber gets rigged down here as its mostly removals in the part of van im in and i find they get stuck under the logs on the deck or on the pile.end up either taking them off or pulling till ur red in the face...i can understand if guys find it quicker on branches just dont think its dynamic or that pro.kinda surprised how many guys on here sway towards using them. thought it would b the other way round.what ur brought up using i guess

I think the part of being dynamic is knowing whats the best way to carry out the job effciently. I often use a karabiner/sling to start with I can sling a piece off and send it on its way, then be rapidly slinging the next piece of in anticipation, in some situation I can sling multiple branches in one go this is where i find slings and karabiners can open up many more options. Rigging branches can become very smooth and flow all day long like this with minimum effort from the climber and ground crew.

Once it gets to snatching big timber then i'll start tying.

Like you said we all find our own soloutions and have found what works well for us, which way is the best way well thats obvious its mine:001_tt2:.

I hear people all the time talking about side loading biners being such a bad/taboo thing. As long as the gate is secure whats the prob? Biners ARE rated to be loaded across their axis. Just stay within these limits methinks.

I use biners for nearly all rigging and have never had one fail in this configuration. They don't work very well as replacements for lowering blocks though :thumbup:

I hear people all the time talking about side loading biners being such a bad/taboo thing. As long as the gate is secure whats the prob? Biners ARE rated to be loaded across their axis. Just stay within these limits methinks.

I use biners for nearly all rigging and have never had one fail in this configuration. They don't work very well as replacements for lowering blocks though :thumbup:

It is a bad thing no karabiner is rated across there axis, just look at the new DMM biners with the I-Beam construction they have a channel cut into them and a slimmer profile as they do not need strength in this axis.

Also i have heard of un-predictable things happening using karabiners like this with heavy loads, it is a bad idea as your increasing the possibilty of failure so why bother.

At the end of the day I will choke karabiners i am not holyier than thou, but it is always in my mind that this is not how they are supposed to be used and take due care.

• 2 weeks later...

for light bits a krab is fine but then there is the issue of them possibly slipping, the quickest method i find for taking out the crown is using slings, have a bunch up there, and you can be setting stuff up whilst the last piece is being lowered, keeps the groundies working hard as well, but for big lumps, tie the knots, if your brining down big lumps on a krab then. Keep an eye slings you use though, especialy the narrow dyneema slings, which are great but can get worn out damn quick from my experience.