Advice Please

harvey b davison

I'm looking for a semi pro saw for home use only. I'd like it to be able to comfortably run an 18" bar as well as a 15". The 2 saws that i have an incling to is an husqy 455 ranger or a makita 6400. I dont fancy a stihl much, although i wouldnt rule one out. I'm not buying just yet, but would like to know what you more experienced guys think. The nearest service centres do stihl and makita.

Thanks.

Husky 365 sp great saw with a low price.

Nail hit on the head, the 365 is a great saw, it's a beast with a 15 inch bar on, will run an 18 with ease and will, if you ever need to go bigger, run a 24 too.

Thread over, good night haha

I'm on't phone!!

Of the 2 OP posted I would take the Dolmar 6400 Makita 6401. 6400 6401 is open port.

I also really really really like the Husky 365 special with it's quad transfers like the 372xp.

There is a 365 husky with open ports I hear isnt as strong in the cut as the special. But I have never ran one of those to know first hand yet.

That husky 555 has rave reviews over here. Little bro of 560xp. In the high $580 range here.

Basically all the same price range here.

Whats the difference between open port and closed port and what difference does it make to a saw. ?

Thanks.

The ports are the bit in the barrel where the gas flow is directed. Open port means that they are open to the bore; closed port means they're an enclosed channel.

If the port is open, the piston can't run against that bit of the bore. This means it will be a bit less efficient as a seal (slightly less power per .cc) - doesn't affect compression as this is above the ports, but it does affect the efficiency of gas transfer within the cycle and, probably more significantly, that the barrel will tend to wear a bit faster.

For an occasional use home saw, you will probably not notice the difference in reality.

Alec