Petrol in Diesel Engine.

Dax

Don't take any more advise from that dealer?

Sorry, could not resist.

Petrol does not have the lubricating properties of diesel and can wear the pumps down quite quickly. Especially in a common rail engine as the pumps are built with very small tolerances as they produce such high pressure.

I'm no expert on Vauxhalls though, is it old/new? what engine is in it? How far was it driven?

:thumbup1:

Was the tank empty when she put the petrol in? I am assuming you have about an 80 litre tank- maybe more- so if the tank was empty and she only put 9 litres of petrol in i personally wouldnt be concerned. The biggest danger from petrol in diesel engines is the increased pressure, which can essentially hydraulic your engine in extreme cases.

It needs the fuel draining (tank) then renew the fuel filter.... if possible clear the fuel lines, fill back up with diesel and try again.

Shouldn't have been run to be honest.... i'd be inclined to ring the dealer up and give them a rollocking for bad advice, it will not get you anywhere though :(

As said by other people, diesel lubricates the system also and injector pumps etc can easily get damaged. Old technology can withstand it some times and you can "get away with it" but newer technology needs extra care....

A mate who worked for the RAC told me if you put a litre of two stroke in the tank it will help put the lubrication back in that petrol lack's??. Anyone know if this is true?

It would make sense. But don't think it would be suitable on more modern fuel systems.

Was the tank empty when she put the petrol in? I am assuming you have about an 80 litre tank- maybe more- so if the tank was empty and she only put 9 litres of petrol in i personally wouldnt be concerned. The biggest danger from petrol in diesel engines is the increased pressure, which can essentially hydraulic your engine in extreme cases.

The tank was empty :thumbup1:

Just turned the car over and got it started and ticks over fine but havent driven it yet. Its a 3.0 Cdti.

Aaaagh, the infamous V6 CDTI aka 3.0 TiD like in the Saab 9-5 we used to have! What an engine. World class when running right, murder when it goes wrong. Sensitive fuel pump I think - very best of luck. :thumbup1:

A mate who worked for the RAC told me if you put a litre of two stroke in the tank it will help put the lubrication back in that petrol lack's??. Anyone know if this is true?

Aye, 2-stroke upper cylinder lubricant :thumbup1:

Aye, extreme cases constant volume SI vs constant pressure CI lol Detonation! Decent 20:1 C/R should pee that tho.

then renew the fuel filter....

Aye.