is this unfair

western

what he said to me when i first started is " i'll screw you for every penny i pay" :thumbdown: regards western.

the normal day is 8 at the yard and at the end of the day 4.30 finish, i get back about 4.15 to take chipper of and put kit in the lock up.

The two quotes above seem some what contradictory.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Times a tough, your boss may be casting his net a little further to keep himself and you in a living.

Fair point, which is why the OP should talk to him before the job starts. I've been on jobs before where the hours I've worked extended a significant amount beyond a normal day (it was known before the job started that this would be happening) and it was understood by both parties that a higher day rate applied. I always support the firms I subby for, as if they do well then so do I, but expect them to understand I do not intend to be disadvantaged by working longer for no extra money. Obviously, there is (or at least, should be) give and take when jobs finish later or earlier than planned but different rules apply when it is all planned beforehand :001_smile:

Always start with a reasonable compromise, I don't like the term "Win Win" but that is what youre after - your boss to not have to look for another operator and you to get some extra for the travelling and time.

The actual days work should be paid as normal, the travelling time is separate and a payment for this should be agreed - I would take out your normal travel time from the extended travel time and then put a reasonable value on this, perhaps do it at 3/4 hourly rate?

When you talk to the boss, have all this written down so he can go away and look at it and understand your position, seeing his point of view about getting work in and employing you in hard times and also him to see you are a hard grafter and not being unreasonable is paramount.

I was 20 years in production Management with between 15 and 40 people on three shifts under my command so know a bit about what I am talking about:001_rolleyes:

Don't go in cocky and threatening, go in to compromise an resolve - if the boss says go forth on extra payment - know what you plan to do....accept it or walk - your choice! Also be aware what he does for you, will roll over to the other workers - unless you cut a private deal!

If you dont say something he may carry on pricing jobs on the grounds of you are prepared to do a 13 hr day for a standard day rate. If times are hard and this is the best job he could line up I would help him out then draw a new line in the sand for future jobs. £600 a week is better but £400 is better than 0

If you dont say something he may carry on pricing jobs on the grounds of you are prepared to do a 13 hr day for a standard day rate. If times are hard and this is the best job he could line up I would help him out then draw a new line in the sand for future jobs. £600 a week is better but £400 is better than 0

If no extra money is on offer because times are hard, try to negotiate something else like borrowing kit to do your own jobs. That way, you get something of benefit to you and it doesn't cost him cash at the time. :001_smile:

Thanks to everyone who has commented on this thread, is has been a massive help, and shead a lot of light on a few matters in the world of contract climbing. i will take all comments into account when talking to my boss. many thanks western:001_smile: