What Welder have you got?

Billy

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

air liquide have been doing a deal on gas a one off payment £170 you own the bottle and only pay for the refills

the bottles regulator is fixed so when you refill the new bottle comes with regulator refills are about £37

just phone them in NI there very helpfull but do not stock Ar CO2 mix but will get back to me

an arc (stick) welder is good for dirty metal as the flux removes the dirt, and and its cheeper to buy an arc, as well. you do not get problems with the wire rusting and the need for gas though you can get flux wire for a mig though i have neaver tryed it. i use both all the time but love the mig though it not easy to move around.

i would recomend a automitic welding mask but they are not cheep.

Clean metal and proper joint preparation is key to a good weld regardless of the process used. MMA may look like its doing a good job on dirty, rusty, or painted surfaces, but the final result will be a poor quality weld, with little fusion.

If you need a really strong weld, even removing the mill scale from new steel is advisable, as is grinding a chamfer on the edges of the material to be joined, to improve penetration.

Have got three 1, an old oxford arc welder that I bought from a farm sale as a back up gets little use. 2, A cheap seally 240 amp arc welder that I used with a honda geni has had many hours of use mostly on farms building sheds and machinery repairs now looks like it has been shot through a cannon but still works well. 3 A murex 245 tradesmig which has also had many hours of use and never let me down only replaced the torch in 16 years if its a mig you need not the cheapist but about the best single phase unit I have used.