Silenced Diesel Generator Wanted - advice please...

TimberCutterDartmoor

Ideally I would go for a Lister unit. Problem is I have one neighbour about 250m away that complains about the noise. We did have a similar unit to the Pramac but not in the sound reduction case so was more like 90-100dba @ 7m than the 50 ish for the P6000s. He moaned about that one loads but has never mentioned it since we got the Pramac.

I am also looking at a smaller units (2.5kva) that could just run the charger & then use a tractor PTO mounted genny for the occasional big stuff. Or considered DC only units.

Occasionally the coast guard sell their old sets. I had a lister 16kva super silent diesel with huge fuel tank under. about 50 hrs from new bought it for £1500 sold it 3 times for £2400.00 not seen it recently but would suit you well. It was 15 years old but mint would cost about £10,000 now new.

• 11 months later...

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So its nearly time for a new Generator for our off grid set up.

Requirements:-

diesel

pref 1500 rpm

quiet, very quiet, sub 60dBa.

easy to maintain

easy to fix

stable voltage on large loads coming on & off

5 to 10 kVa

single phase

low fuel consumption

elec start

low oil shut down

low fuel shut down

over heat shut down

reliable

long expected life

So which one?

So its nearly time for a new Generator for our off grid set up.

Requirements:-

diesel

pref 1500 rpm

quiet, very quiet, sub 60dBa.

easy to maintain

easy to fix

stable voltage on large loads coming on & off

5 to 10 kVa

single phase

low fuel consumption

elec start

low oil shut down

low fuel shut down

over heat shut down

reliable

long expected life

So which one?

After servicing generators for 25 years I still think there is only one set for this application. Lister 1500rpm flat top aircooled even 15 years old with standby hrs would be ok.

Not a watercooled alpha whatever you do. Or possibly a new 1500 rpm watercooled Kubota.

i have one of these which is great can even get a box so that it can auto start if you have a power cut

Hyundai DHY6000SE Silent diesel generator, 5200w, electric start, 230v, 115v

Ok for power cuts but not for living off grid. Badged as Hyundai but made in china by kipor or kama. We did import one container of these about 8 years ago never again

597663051062b_DSCF0264(600x450).jpg.ee52a28c8eaf8ecf8369fadcb9e2224a.jpg

What about the noise of the lister?

We live 10m away from where the genny lives. But also have a neighbour that would complain about the noise, as they did about our first genny (one of the clones) but not the P6000s.

I have seen the effort some have had to go to to try to reduce the noise.

2 ton on concrete to bolt it too.

Pit of doom for the exhaust to run through deep concrete & block channels under ground

Very substantial block building with insulation.

Ducted cooling system to allow air flow but leak not noise.

Oh & wearing ear defenders when in the room.

What about the noise of the lister?

We live 10m away from where the genny lives. But also have a neighbour that would complain about the noise, as they did about our first genny (one of the clones) but not the P6000s.

I have seen the effort some have had to go to to try to reduce the noise.

2 ton on concrete to bolt it too.

Pit of doom for the exhaust to run through deep concrete & block channels under ground

Very substantial block building with insulation.

Ducted cooling system to allow air flow but leak not noise.

Oh & wearing ear defenders when in the room.

The p6000s was very quiet if you need your set quieter than that you either need to spend some serious money or diy as you have said. Pramac is now not an option as they have gone bust.

I picked up a Lister lighting tower set (cheap) originally 110v but with 3 phase generator so got local genset company to rewire for use for 3 phase and 240v.

Lighting towers are excellent value for money. Be careful if you try to do it again as most are not 12 wire machines and cant be reconnected ie if they are 110 volt machines thats your lot and visversa.