Silenced Diesel Generator Wanted - advice please...

TimberCutterDartmoor

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not sure if that is made by HGI has a sort of prc look to it. That is defo not the quietest on the market. My choice if you want a small 3000 rpm machine would be the pramac P6000s . The s bit is important as you can hardly hear it running ie 70 dec at 1 metre not half way up the road. I have sold loads of these when we could do them for 2k now they come out at £2500 + vat. That ebay thing if its a genuine HGI from uk will make about 12-1600 on ebay. If it was rough 5-700. Small gensets are a minefield especially air cooled 3000 rpm stuff.

Are these ones deffo crap to be avoided?

silent generator | eBay

Thanks v much

I did not recognise the hgi bit as I know them as Harrington. A nice uk company straight and helpful. I dont know if they manufacture that set in house or import. The ebay item looks genuine. Most of those other ebay sets esp kipor kama etc are not great in my opinion. They are a poor copy of the L100 engine. There was a P6000s on there the best you will get for 3k.

I would recommend not getting a Pramac P6000s.

I have had loads of trouble with mine & the UK importer wriggles out of any warranty claim.

In the space of 2 years mine has needed

within warranty

main control panel

1 starter motor

battery

1 set of capacitors

In the second year out of warranty

1 starter motor

over 10 flying diodes

2 more sets of capacitors

the optional extra at huge cost AVR unit

(now running without AVR but voltage is much less stable)

Plus it needs reflashing each time a diode fails (physical not electrical failing)

That said I do still like the unit as it has some nice features like the low fuel stop, easy drain engine oil, hand & elec start, quiet running, large fuel tank, central lifting eye.

Would I buy another?

No.

Edit to add,

I also changed the battery to starter motor leads as they are too thin as standard for deep winter starting.

Edited by Justme

I would recommend not getting a Pramac P6000s.

I have had loads of trouble with mine & the UK importer wriggles out of any warranty claim.

In the space of 2 years mine has needed

within warranty

main control panel

1 starter motor

battery

1 set of capacitors

In the second year out of warranty

1 starter motor

over 10 flying diodes

2 more sets of capacitors

the optional extra at huge cost AVR unit

(now running without AVR but voltage is much less stable)

Plus it needs reflashing each time a diode fails (physical not electrical failing)

That said I do still like the unit as it has some nice features like the low fuel stop, easy drain engine oil, hand & elec start, quiet running, large fuel tank, central lifting eye.

Would I buy another?

No.

Edit to add,

I also changed the battery to starter motor leads as they are too thin as standard for deep winter starting.

I know you had alot of trouble with yours. But its the best available in that size at that price. I would imagine you were doing alot of stop starting. You can pay £5000 for a 3kva open set which is what you may have needed. If you are going to run 10 - 15 hrs a week the pramac will be ok. The yanmar l100 engine is due a major overhaul at 2000hrs I would say the unit has expired at 4000 hrs. We use perkins in our 30kva 1500rpm sets and expect 40,000 hrs before overhaul horses for courses.

you pay peanuts etc etc,any silenced diesel generator for less than 1500 new is gonna be cack.IMO.

:thumbup1: £3000 will buy an ok one but not running a remote cottage 24/7 for the next ten years. £7000 will buy you a proper generator running at 1500 rpm and with servicing and 80% load will last 15- 40,000 hrs with some luck.