Log prices

welwell

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It got me thinking did this. I wonder if it was possible to sue a wood supplier for supplying wood not fit for purpose.

If you did have a chimney fire and had been buying wood off the same supplier and using no other supplies, your chimney caught fire and damaged your chimney breast.

I suppose it would be blamed on lack of chimney sweeping, I think insurance companies stipulate chimneys should be swept yearly.

But you are supplying a product and if that prroduct is not up to scratch you could say you are putting people at risk.

I do know that the insurance company, if they did pay out would explore whatever avenue was available to them to recover their losses

Worth a thought in todays claim culture

how could they prove whose wood they were burning?

the owner could have gone out and picked up some wood from anywhere and used that and then blamed the supplier

Even if you did tell people that is was unseasoned and that it would probably damage their chimney and set the house on fire they would still buy it if it was cheaper than seasoned :001_smile:

Unfair to blame the wood supplier as long as they aint pulling a fast one (selling wet leylandii as seasoned firewood) imo.

how could they prove whose wood they were burning?

the owner could have gone out and picked up some wood from anywhere and used that and then blamed the supplier

It would be quite simple to prove, just order another batch off the supplier and test when they arrive. Pinning full blame on him would be a different story I would imagine.

The point I am making without getting anyone back up is that if you supply goods that aren't as described, you can possibly be held liable in one way or another

The wood supplier should know the dangers of selling wet wood unfit for purpose and therefore shouldn't be selling it

I'll have to staple a disclaimer to every log from now on

"The supplier can not be held responsible from any damage by fire caused from this log." :001_tongue:

You could always sell wet wood and tell them it needs seasoning before use.

I know what you mean about fit for purpose and with out a doubt I'm sure there will be many sooted / on fire chimneys knocking about since the firewood demand has increased but unless you check every piece of timber with a moisture meter how do you know if its really dry?

Seasoned doesn't really mean a lot ie how long has a proper piece of firewood been seasoned for?

Anyhow just my opinion and I'm probably wrong anyhow.:001_smile:

It would be quite simple to prove, just order another batch off the supplier and test when they arrive. Pinning full blame on him would be a different story I would imagine.

The point I am making without getting anyone back up is that if you supply goods that aren't as described, you can possibly be held liable in one way or another

The wood supplier should know the dangers of selling wet wood unfit for purpose and therefore shouldn't be selling it

when your too old to climb you could get a job at health and safety.

I have had my fair share of people trying to sue me, 3 to be exact. Not for selling wood though.

I have an easy way round the problem, plan ahead and don't sell unseasoned wood, if it isn't dry it goes to next years stock, if I run out of this years stock I run out. Why dip into next years supply.

Below is the piccies of the my log pile from the first getogether in my wood, them logpiles in the background inside the barn had been there 1 year for the right hand pile and 2 years for the left pile, the right pile is still there now but doubled in size.

When I tested it it was 25 % which is burnable but it can be better. The left pile is 18% which wont get any lower.

597653b183c7f_Gettogether012.jpg.abe94f760006b426a53bc264940800b4.jpg

The thing is take ash my boss will not burn ash until it has been seasoned 3 years my neighbour fells an ash and it is on the fire that night. My father in law had no trouble with his flue until one year he cut sycamore trees and after one winter his flue was blocked with tar. for myself i season for 3 years for sale i season 1 year no good being a woodman and burning damp wood.:001_smile: