Log prices

welwell

Burning wood I sweep the chimney every 2 months at a minimum to reduce the risk of chimney fires. The fire in the front which had been blocked off for years prior to me opening it up had lumps of tar falling out when I swept it the first time.

Also if you have your fire on a slumber rate you should try and do a quick hot burn at least every 12 hours for around 30minutes or so to burn off deposits in the chimney.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He gets it himself in cord form, stores it outside or in a dark shed, then cuts and splits it and chucks it straight onto his open fire.

This is where he went wrong..he should have cut and split it, then seasoned it, and where the wind can get through it..not in a dark shed. It's amazing just how long uncut logs take to dry out

Anyone that burns wood on a regular basis should have their chimney lined. No matter how long wood is seasoned for it still leaves resin in the chimney. The resin soaks into the brickwork and if a fire occurs it cant be put out, resulting in structural damage to the house. My chimney is lined with stainless steel and I still clean every two months or so depending on the type of wood I,m burning. Sometimes the first section of my six inch flue is chogged right up leaving a three inch hole. I know when it,s time to clean just by judging the fires performance. Also I season all my wood for two years whether it,s for me or customers.

We've got 4 wood stoves and a woodfired cooker. One stove is flued through a SS flexi liner - one through a Selkirk Insulated Twinwall - one through an Insulated Thermocrete chimney - and one through a clay lined masonary chimney. The wood cooker is flued via an insulated Twinwall Negarra chimney.

We use only dry firewood. I sweep our chimneys every 6 months or so (every 4 months for the cooker). Even the ones in almost constant use, have very little soot deposit and no discernable tar buildup.

If you burn dry wood correctly, in a properly installed appliance, and have a sensible chimney maintainance regime you won't get any problems.

It got me thinking did this. I wonder if it was possible to sue a wood supplier for supplying wood not fit for purpose.

If you did have a chimney fire and had been buying wood off the same supplier and using no other supplies, your chimney caught fire and damaged your chimney breast.

I suppose it would be blamed on lack of chimney sweeping, I think insurance companies stipulate chimneys should be swept yearly.

But you are supplying a product and if that prroduct is not up to scratch you could say you are putting people at risk.

I do know that the insurance company, if they did pay out would explore whatever avenue was available to them to recover their losses

Worth a thought in todays claim culture