How to move 42' long sawlogs.

tommer9

Hi-ab on a full length artic would be legit. Would get the lot in about 3 or 4 loads. Very low mileage, so you might get a deal at around £350-400 with a bit of effort.

Less legit - the axle as a DIY trailer route would be viable. A double-wheel transit back axle would be my favourite - fairly easy to come by complete with wheels and tyres on ebay - I bought a couple for £50 each to move my boat about (7.5tons). The transit axles are rated at 900kg/wheel, so 3.6tons on the axle, i.e. no problem taking the weight. 500m up the road - take say 5mins/run? I'd be inclined to have a couple of mates with mobiles stationed about 10mins up the road in each direction to let you know when you're good to go. I would also be inclined to have someone following with hazards on. Firstly for safety, secondly if you were unlucky enough to be spotted then lenient Old Bill might let you off if it looks like you're taking precautions.

Alec

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I am leaning towards the legit route, simly because for £400 ish the job would be done, and no headaches. I reckon it could cost more than that in man power doing it heath robinson stylee anyway.

As far as legalities is concerned, TBH it is such a quiet backroad that we could probably just close it and no-one would know. Its virtually a private estate road anyhow, to all intents and purposes. Couple of guys with 'stop-works' signs would do it I should think....

Thats what i have advised (its not for me...I am felling, extracting to rideside, and milling.)

I will help throughout (hence the threads) but I am not that interested in bodging it up a public highway, or the frustrations of what could and inevitably will go wrong- I dont want any unexpected grit related surprises caused by dropping logs on the road etc etc either. Its enough of a paint getting a stone 3/4 way through a 5metre long log, let alone a 12 one!

BTW to you more experienced fallers, would i be better off topping out or just felling straight, as far as shaking the timber is concerned? My [limited] forestry experience has not been for timber logs, so this hasnt been an issue)

There will be issues with the amount of colateral damage we can cause to surrounding woodland.

(the trees will have to be selectively felled, this isnt part of a clear fell I dont think)

I must admit I'd go legit for the number being moved. For a single log I'd chance it, but with 25 to do, either something will go wrong, or even if it doesn't you'll need a fair crew of people and people are likely to end up very knackered with whole thing taking twice as long as you think.

Alec

have you conciderd usind bale trailer as it would be faily well balacned and use load binders to scure. The only problem would be tail swing but only 15' would be over hanging.

i think a timber lorry would strugle and the bolsters would get in the way

Edited by NI Tree

If the Ground is fairly easy just drop them.The Top will likely shatter if they are big,that might absorb some of the impact,I don't know.

HOw do you mean 'easy' Mike? Its not a steep slope, but this isnt final thinnings either, and we have been told we cant damage too many other trees on the way down, although i feel that the top being on may slow the descent a tad....

I did reply to loads of the suggestions from earlier, but somehow didnt post the reply.:blushing:

Thanks for all the help so far.

I like the homemade bogey idea, rides are excellent and big, would an artic log trailer unit be able to handle these logs, or would i need a teleporter (or two) to load? I will have a 6 tonne franchguard on the back of the valmet to skid the timber out. We did moot the idea of suspending the one end on the butt plate / winch and the other on a teleporter.....

You want them landing flat mate, if there are any drops or rises in the ground they will shatter where they hit.

top 20 feet usually breaks as Mike says .

if there is a lot of lean , dog tooth them, save the fibres pulling.

just get felling mate , sounds a cracking job,no sweeping conny cuttings lol