annoyed by highly qualified ..rubbsih climbers

Czlowiek Drzewo

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whats this supposed to mean? i worked my ass off for pennies. worked hard and became ...a decent climber.

Why would i pay someone same wage that i charge when i am twice the climber??

It was a simple question really in response to your quote that if anyone ever grumbled to you about wages they can find another job... or words to that effect. I realise this whole issue is a bit of a sore subject for you but I think that the statement was a bit harsh.

Like you, I grafted at the start for next to no money - 50 quid a day for busting my nuts everyday. Including kit allowance.!!! (Believe me this doesn't go very far in London!) i was keen and enjoyed the graft and learnt as much as possible at the time. Sometimes there was a feeling of resentment that if I was unable to do the tree the boss expected, he would get someone else in to do the same tree and give them 120 a day. I didn't resent the contract climber as he had earned his right to charge as such. but on the other hand, if I struggled all day and managed to do the tree I was sometimes left to feel that I should be grateful for having the opportunity to work for this fella. I would be lying though if i said I didn't grumble because it is in everyone nature to want to earn more and in the employers nature to want more. IME this is just the conditions of general working life.

For the record I have never bull'ed my way into a job and have always thought honesty is the best policy. and yes i agree why should someone coming straight outta college demand decent contract climber rates. I worked hard for that priviledge and so should they. :001_tongue:

It was a simple question really in response to your quote that if anyone ever grumbled to you about wages they can find another job... or words to that effect. I realise this whole issue is a bit of a sore subject for you but I think that the statement was a bit harsh.

Like you, I grafted at the start for next to no money - 50 quid a day for busting my nuts everyday. Including kit allowance.!!! (Believe me this doesn't go very far in London!) i was keen and enjoyed the graft and learnt as much as possible at the time. Sometimes there was a feeling of resentment that if I was unable to do the tree the boss expected, he would get someone else in to do the same tree and give them 120 a day. I didn't resent the contract climber as he had earned his right to charge as such. but on the other hand, if I struggled all day and managed to do the tree I was sometimes left to feel that I should be grateful for having the opportunity to work for this fella. I would be lying though if i said I didn't grumble because it is in everyone nature to want to earn more and in the employers nature to want more. IME this is just the conditions of general working life.

For the record I have never bull'ed my way into a job and have always thought honesty is the best policy. and yes i agree why should someone coming straight outta college demand decent contract climber rates. I worked hard for that priviledge and so should they. :001_tongue:

Yeah i agree with what you are saying ..we all have to start from somewhere. But there are no shortcuts..just work hard and put your time in and you will become god climber. But I see guys just wanting to take shortcuts all the time to earn high wage asap. But don't realise how difficult it can be spending a whole day up a 80 ft beach. as they have never done it.

I agree, there are no short cuts to gaining experience, short cuts usually mean some one is putting them selves in a situation where they take chances, and this may mean accidents or at best, breaking fence panels. We have all done that i'm sure.

On the other mini discussion in this thread, i Used to live about two minutes from the Red lion Brewery and it was rubbish beer even that close to its source.

Long live the clean fresh tate of the Monteiths! so long as Booths bring it up to Lancashire.

Been watching this thread for a while and thought I might as well add my two pence.

Personally (though I'm sure kipperfeet would disagree as I'm on one of his courses) I think I'm not the worst climber in the world. My problem is getting to the top and trusting my changeovers, but once I reach my final anchor point it makes no difference how high I am and what I'm doing. Obviously I realise this is useless in a work environment as no-one is gonna want to wait around while I get to the top but my confidence or more realistically, blocking out the voice telling me to stop, will come with time.

Getting back on topic. Now after reading that first paragraph who on here would give me the time I need to get that confidence?! I know I wouldn't, time is money after all. I'm still entering for my climbing cert and hopefully I'll get it as despite being slow, I am safe. This would then class me as a "qualified ... rubbish climber". I'm not about the sell myself as the best climber you've ever seen and realistically I am not expecting to even be a climber (not straight away anyway), I'll take the best groundy job I can and start from there. As for 50 quid a day? Not the best wage ever but to be in a job you love it's a small price to pay. Plus I volunteer at a country park so any pay would be nice for me :).

Not the most useful post but at least I can be classed under the topic title and provide my POV.

Sounds like you have a good attitude red squirrel - you will obviously not be the sort of person that martyn1 is complaining about.

I think that overall honesty is the key here - if applicants are honest about their ability and expect to earn an honest wage then it's all good. Things just fall apart when employers are lied to, and understandably they get annoyed!

Very usefull post red squirell.

As MrT said its people who lie about ability that started the post.

It does beg the question, why do they feel the need? like getting your first bar job and saying youv'e pulled pints before in order to get the job

I started by phoneing around for a groundie job, did chainsaw cert after a while. One day the climber/boss had a bad knee and let me take over up the tree. Another day he left me on a little reduction job for a while on my own, so no peer pressure or time pressure. also ended up at myerscough after a couple of years in the job.

So your'e not a 'rubbsih' climber, just a new one.

You'll get a start somewhere and work your way up thru experience.