Harness first aid kit?

Arran Turner

i was watching i player program to day on medine on the front line in afgernastan they are now isuing all the soilders with it and they recond it ts the one of the most important things they have on the front line

Combat Application Tourniquet (CAT)

One Handed Tourniquet Configuration - Combat Application Tourniquet

it seem neet for the type of injories we can suffer from

Edited by NI Tree

Having a bit of a medical background it's my opinion a blood stopper/ military dressing is best take up into the tree an will prob never get used as most people drop out the tree for treatment! In all honesty 99% of personal kits ate inadequate for a massive haemorrhage!

CATS are lifesavers no doubt, BUT can also be limb killers if used inappropriately! Due to the lack of oxygen and build up of toxins below the site its applied! Do you research before adding one! They are only for catastrophic bleeding and direct pressure should be your first call! :)

Buy a personal kit put most the bits in your main kit and whack a blood stopper or "emergency care bandage" in!

Id get a CAT and QuickClot gauze! NOT GRANULES and pop them in your main kit!

Play safe :D

i was watching i player program to day on medine on the front line in afgernastan they are now isuing all the soilders with it and they recond it ts the one of the most important things they have on the front line

One Handed Tourniquet Configuration - Combat Application Tourniquet

it seem neet for the type of injories we can suffer from

Excellent doc hey dude! Some good does come of war I guess!

Having a bit of a medical background it's my opinion a blood stopper/ military dressing is best take up into the tree an will prob never get used as most people drop out the tree for treatment! In all honesty 99% of personal kits ate inadequate for a massive haemorrhage!

CATS are lifesavers no doubt, BUT can also be limb killers if used inappropriately! Due to the lack of oxygen and build up of toxins below the site its applied! Do you research before adding one! They are only for catastrophic bleeding and direct pressure should be your first call! :)

Buy a personal kit put most the bits in your main kit and whack a blood stopper or "emergency care bandage" in!

Id get a CAT and QuickClot gauze! NOT GRANULES and pop them in your main kit!

Play safe :D

Good advice.

It's also worth noting that after extended period of application (eg. evacuation from remote areas) the release of these toxins can go on to cause problems with the kidneys.

A & E depts. would consider this complication a real possibilty.

carpediem the advice above is really good. but ill give my 2pence worth. the small first aid kit that go on harnesses are wicked for keeping you phone and smokes in but after that i wouldnt waste my time. i always think about this and have come to the conclusion that if it is only a small wound then you need to either get down and fix it or keep going because really it isnt so bad. if it is a bad wound then get the hell out the tree to somewhere where it isnt just you. as dak has said using cats is a great thing to use but is also as dangerous as it is a lifesaver was a trauma medic in the army and did 2 tours and in both i was issued a bandage and my rifle cleaning rod. this all works well imo opinion and old bit of sling or prussic nd a biner would work as well. im always amazed buy climbers who have a kit on there harness and no real kit on the ground i would say that is also a issue. if you go to a army serplus ask or look for ffd's its called a first field dressing they hold a liter of blood and will cover you wound and should only be around £1. all the best

I carry a military-issue (CAT) tourniquet like the one in the picture below.

That'll give me a chance of stopping arterial bleeding for long enough to make it to the ground.

Everything else can be taken care of on the ground.

cat.jpg.ebf942573d7d6316e62633188037dbe3.jpg

Edited by morten
spelling