18 years of age vs van insurance

Arran Turner

I would ideally like to get a van/pick up but i cant find insurance anywhere im getting quoted 7k for 2000 plate singlecab ford ranger on confused.

I have a bad postcode RM17. Currently im insured on a little suzuki sj c regs on my dads business insurance for 1800.

anyone got a clue how to get insurance down to at least under 3k or i guess wait til 21 :confused1:

Thank you Arran

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its just a major pain in the ass, worst of all whilst im driving at the moment im not getting any no claims.

I would of thought that if i was in a van the insurance would of thought hang on he is not going to race about in a transit van, but i was wrong its all about insurance groups engine size etc.

I wondered why when i asked my driving instructor how much he thought insurance would be on a van he 'never really knew'. :thumbdown:

It's a nightmare for kids. My lad's 18 and I can't add him as a named driver. Can only insure him as the main driver with his name on the logbook at an exhorbitant price. Ironically I can phone the insurance broker up (NFU) and put him on temporary cover for 60 days per time for £60. At a pound a day it's cheaper than mine!

Regrettably, the insurance companies have nearly all of us by the short hairs. Going on your parents insurance may be your only viable option ATM, I know that was what I had to do and when I turned 21 I was on my own. Still cost more due to my age/gender but that was due to the odds against the house ie. the insurance company. The house does not like to loose any bets, hence the premium is so much higher.

easy-lift guy

4x4's are very expensive to insure for young drivers, down to engine CC, weight and desirability to thieves, it all adds up to make them pricey.

Small vans based on low insurance group hatchbacks are the cheapest vehicle you will be able to insure.

I know it sounds hideous but if you find a Fiesta or Corsa [small petrol engine] and drive that for a year it will pay off quicker than trying to drive something bigger as a name on someone else's policy.

I wish I'd taken my own advice when I was your age!

Fortunately things were a bit easier for me, even though it was only coming up 15 years ago. I had a Golf Gti at 19 which was 500 quid TPTF to insure and a Range Rover at 21 which was £900 FC... I got quoted the exact same figure for the same vehicles now, 13 years on, so I dread to think what it would be like if I was still 18!

The insurance companies have made it very much that you need to start small these days... there isn't really any escaping it I'm afraid!