Daily bread

wisewood

Ran out of bread today and I could have been lazy like usual and gone out and bought some bland loaf from tesco's or the like.

Instead I spent a few hours this evening after the kids went off to bed and made 3 cool looking/smelling loaves.:thumbup:

Still up now waiting for the last one :001_rolleyes: but well worth it.

Anyone else saving pennies and making their own bread?

I make all our bread, but try and plan it so I'm finished by midnight at the latest:biggrin:

It's really satisfying work, can be a bit frustrating to get just right but the feeling of victory when you've made one that little bit better than ever before makes it all worthwhile:thumbup1:

I'm not sure of it actually saves me any money as I use an electric oven. It's all about flavour, nutrition and knowing exactly what's gone in. Most shop-bought bread has ingredients in it that are not listed (as they don't have to list them) mostly flour treatments, enzymes etc which can be a bit of an issue for veggie's and vegans etc as some of these are "mined" from pigs guts:biggrin:

I also eat much less bread if I make it myself. I'm happy with 2 or 3 sandwiches for a working day (4 or 6 slices) but when I eat shop-bread I'll eat the whole bread!

If you want to get stuck in, I can thoroughly recommend the book "Bread Matters". It's all you ever wanted to know about bread and then some, and actually quite readable. It has a large section of recipes etc as well, and delves into the science of bread, why different ways of kneading make different bread etc.

Well done:thumbup1:

i always make our bread, but most of the time i cheat and use a bread maker. But when i do get an hour or two spare i do love to make it by hand!!! So much for satisfying!!

Off to buy the book u suggested need some new interesting reading material!!!:biggrin:

Off to buy the book u suggested need some new interesting reading material!!!:biggrin:

I should be on commission, I've made at least 20 people buy that book over the past year alone!:laugh1:

I was given a bread maker once, but it just sat in the way most of the time. Our kitchen is very small and a bulky machine like that was too much:001_cool:

I used to bake a lot of bread, but these days eat far too much of it to keep up. Yesterday for instance, I was off, sat around doing nothing (a rare treat) and still ate 13 slices over the course of the day.

I wish that we could get good bread from the shops here, but the British have a love affair with terrible, tasteless styrofoam loaves.

Jonathan

I used to bake a lot of bread, but these days eat far too much of it to keep up. Yesterday for instance, I was off, sat around doing nothing (a rare treat) and still ate 13 slices over the course of the day.

I wish that we could get good bread from the shops here, but the British have a love affair with terrible, tasteless styrofoam loaves.

Jonathan

Making 3 loaves is hardly any more work than making one Big J.

The only way to get real bread in the UK is by making it yourself, unless you live in a trendy part of London or a hippy enclave like Totness.:lol:

If you'd made bread instead of doing nothing your life might have felt fuller:lol:

You might have a point there Rover, but I love to do nothing, and only get such a day about once a month!

German bread is where it's at. Not the rye bread that everyone seems to think is the only bread people in Germany eat, but all the others like sourdough, grey bread etc. All we have are Hovis and Warburtons :(

You might have a point there Rover, but I love to do nothing, and only get such a day about once a month!

German bread is where it's at. Not the rye bread that everyone seems to think is the only bread people in Germany eat, but all the others like sourdough, grey bread etc. All we have are Hovis and Warburtons :(

That’s what I am talking about, when I lived in Germany I shared a flat with an apprentice baker, for their exam they have to be able to make a dozen or so types from memory.

Roggenbrot and Brie, Mmmmmmmm:thumbup:

That’s what I am talking about, when I lived in Germany I shared a flat with an apprentice baker, for their exam they have to be able to make a dozen or so types from memory.

Roggenbrot and Brie, Mmmmmmmm:thumbup:

Let me guess - you developed a terrible gluten intolerance from eating nothing but bread, morning, noon and night, and had to return to the UK? :laugh1: