Rope Wrench feedback

I've tried vt and distel on op and Ap, both hitches grab straight away, it's a weight thing I'm sure I weigh 220lb and I just not sure it's for the bigger climber. However ive not tried it on the bigger rope yet so I might be eating my words.

Some Samson vortex would be perfect for you man :thumbup1:

my fall plays in my mind too man ;) lol, this is why I have embraced it and learned it inside and out. I love it, but I am guessing that the combination of the bend and the angle of the pin/bolt would lighten the weight on the hitch by at least half, Kevin B. would know for sure though.

Cary, I keep reading references to your fall. If you don't mind me asking, what happened exactly?

I only ask in case there is something myself and others are unaware of regarding the RW.

If you're uncomfortable posting on here perhaps you could pm or email me.

Thank you.

Cary, I keep reading references to your fall. If you don't mind me asking, what happened exactly?

I only ask in case there is something myself and others are unaware of regarding the RW.

If you're uncomfortable posting on here perhaps you could pm or email me.

Thank you.

I'll post it in a bit man, no worries :)

Okay, since more and more people are trying the rope wrench, I figured I would share my fall on one when I first started.

Me and a buddy were climbing a big red oak, 100+'.

I had taken some fast up and downs to show him how fast it was. I went to the ground and started back up at about the 35' mark, my pantin popped off the line, and I did not have my lanyard over the shoulder near tight enough, plus I had a VT way too long and not dressed as tight as it should have been.( this is crucial, it needs to grab right away.)

The next thing I knew, I was falling backwards, trying to set the hitch, which it did not :( so I resorted to grabbing the rope to slow my fall. I hit the ground on my back, right between two headstones ( we were climbing a cemetery tree), the smell of burnt rubber from my gloves was all I could smell.

Then the burning pain set in, seems the rope was between my legs and up my arse, I was wearing Arborwear Tech pants, which are nylon....the heat of the rope and the fall melted them to my , well..... my stuff ;) not fun at all, took a bit to heal, but nothing else was hurt. Even though the hitch did not grab, the RW DID slow my fall though, enough that between it and the rope thru my crotch; I walked away uninjured, well kinda...

Freaked me out for a good 2 months, I was a bit scared on ascents, but it passed. So the rule is this, short , well dressed hitch that grabs right F@#%ING NOW :), and a tight lanyard over the shoulder, plus on a long ascent, I clip a biner in my pantin to back it up. It was in no way the fault of the wrench or SRT, just my own complacency, play safe people :)

unclip your snap and throw it over your shoulder, like a bandolier , then clip it into either the HC pulley if you are using one, the tether of the rope wrench, or, like me the DMM thimble on the tether, snug it up good.

then when you ascend, this tends the hitch and RW together, leaving your hands free.

I only do this for long ascents, while working I just put one hand over the wrench, and one between the wrench and the hitch. A good trick is to clip the lanyard over the shoulder when you can climb a good section of the tree, it tends all the stuff as you climb like a kid, unencumbered :) you are in a way, self-belaying