Rope Wrench feedback

The Rig can be operated with one hand, it just requires some practice. The ascent method Al described works the same as a sit stand method with the Rope Wrench and a Pantin. The Rig is so easily and quickly installed that changeover from a Frog Walker or Rope Walker setup is the way to go for initial ascent although it can be configured in a pseudo Rope Walker. The Rig can also be installed while hanging from a footlock prusik giving the climber a quick descent option.

the rig cannot do what a wrench can when working in a tree when facing a multitude of angles, long ascents/descents, micro ascents/descents, swings, jumps, etc.. the rig is a brilliant piece of kit but just not great for quick tree work.

Drew, I disagree and find the Rig well suited for tree work. The Rig does require ancillary gear to ascend a vertical rope but I find it performs quite well particulary on swings, jumps, and limbwalking. I found the learning curve for the Rig to be steeper then the RW due to the change from a familiar friction hitch in lieu of a handle but with practice I find the Rig smooth and reliable allowing swinging descents with great control (as does the RW). The Rope Wrench and the Petzl Rig are both wonderfully designed pieces of kit that allow SRT climbing, although in slightly different ways. The RW has definite advantages over the Rig but I find the opposite true as well. If I was asked to recommend just one device it would be the Wrench due to the familiarity of a hitch, but I would not want to climb without my Rig.

hey paul, perhaps i was a bit swift in saying the rig cannot do such and such. for me as an arborist with a history of hitch control, the rig doesn't work as well for me. Its the ability to ascend ropes without other gear that i like about, the RADS system puts me off any other srt system. Its all good though and cheers for your comments bro.

Drew, its all good mate. I am with you on the other gear and I only footlock the tail of the Rig in a RADS configuration for real short ascents otherwise RADS is too painfully slow. There is more but this thread is about the Rope Wrench and I will not derail any further. Climb safe, Paul

Ok, I understand all this now but I find it hard to believe that small ascents srt is easier than ascending on DRT.

After all, on DRT the standing side of the rope is helping to pull me up while I pull down on the running side. I use a Pantin a lot by the way.

I dismantled a Maple today and had to be very systematic as I couldn't damage the shrubs underneath. I couldn't see a single time when ascending SRT would have been easier, yet I do understand the SRT concept and technique.

Am I missing something or is it just a case of pros and cons?

For really long limb walks you can install a hand ascender with a revolver, clip the tail in and when you walk back on pull the tail like a rads system.

Also an ascender with a crab and pulley clipped in when you start your climb out on a limb converts it into a RAD system which makes coming in very easy. Well it was using the HC WR setup and I'm sure it will be the same with the LJ WR setup.

Ian as above, by using the hand ascender with a revolver you use less kit as you already have the hand ascender.:thumbup:

finding myself with a free hour this afternoon i decided to get some pictures so people can see my setup.

1&2) Petzl hand ascender with foot loop, RW, LJ, connected via a cut away, Petzl pantin.

3) I feed my strop up my back and over my shoulder to help advance the RW. Not shown in pictures one and two because i didn't want to block anything out of view

4) When i limb walk i lock off the ascender, clip in a DMM Revolver (which is much better than my pulley setup, Thanks Deer Man) and create a RAD system for coming back in. Its fast and easy.

5) Pretty much the same except i use a Multisling with a DMM Revolver (note the Revolver has to be threaded through the spliced eyes as it wont fit correctly into the metal ring). Any eye to eye cord would be fine too.

396999_308143235893499_125192177521940_853175_236927490_n.jpg.a0550c69de6f6952ef618985d5c6dbe1.jpg

408059_308143139226842_125192177521940_853174_916872088_n.jpg.248bd9201774c790a468bb39ff9a4730.jpg

387796_308142739226882_125192177521940_853170_1701888088_n.jpg.8062acd81c2bb02d5a17be3d65afe1bb.jpg

390531_308142602560229_125192177521940_853169_1300342354_n.jpg.df54849eb9bdc70abc0249c42d1119ff.jpg

403918_308141902560299_125192177521940_853167_699453442_n.jpg.1c8bb58ad1500c5ea06497c488f85a4c.jpg

thanks for the photos ian.

does your hand assecnder attatch to your RW? or just to the foot loop.

had a quick go at the frog walk with basicly the same set up seem good although i definitly need practice to get the rythem right.

the RW won out today for a small job of reducing a long pine limb, just set up a single line over a high main branch and then redirected to the fork above the limb to work on then pantined up straight out on the end of the limb.

do you find the RW works better on a short tether and no karribiner at the top of the LJ.

cheers carl