Rope Wrench feedback

I have had a Rope Wrench for a few weeks now, I bought one after reading this thread after a lot of speculation and pondering I decided to buy one here are my thoughts.

I found that it takes alot of the fun out of climbing for me as the process feels unnatural when you have to transition into ascent mode LOTs etc when im using my spiderjack I swing/walk in from a limb then start climbing then off I go on another limb.

It is a simple Srt system but I have found that when using with static line (those that I have tried) That the hitch is extremely temperamental even when using armor pruss with alot of wraps on it. It does keep gear down to a minimum but using LOTS isn't the most comfortable and when switching over to work it can be a PITA I find it sits too far away from me when I sit back to switch over which would be solved by a shorter tether but then I found I didn't have enough room for my hitch.

Long limb walks I found troubling I know that when using it you have to think vertically but some times its not possible, the advantage of the wrench is often said that its the 1:1 ratio, but I found when limb walking going out is fine but when coming back in as you I have had to tie a hitch that grabs ever time(I use a spiderjack in Ddrt) I found it pretty hard to advance up the line especially when im holding all my weight on one arm in order to prevent the limb I am on snapping or for finer moving, I also felt it would pull me up right which wasn't what I desired when out on the limb in certain situations. An argument i hear is to install a 3:1 set up but surely that defies the advantage of using a wrench in the first place the 1:1 ratio? When using my SJ on tricky limbs I had over hand quickly in order to stay balanced when walking in.

Re-directs I found just the same as Ddrt but the same friction which is awesome, but with Ddrt redirects I found them just as easy to install and retrieve etc and I find the little extra friction no problem, When the line is accidentally redirected using the wrench the lack of change in the friction i have found leading to some drops and brown trousers moments when my line is caught on a small peg and it snaps or my rope slips, when its Ddrt you would notice the change stop look flick carry on.

I Love the fact it doesn't twist my line like a Vt used to that is awesome. I have found it is very quick for descending or having a big swing.

Although my opinions may seem nagative i have tried to be as honest as possible and feel Kevin Bingham has made a good product that has alot of uses( I used it the other day to go up knock some stubs off come down easy!) but to me it doesnt revolutionise Tree work, but each to their own thanks for reading this essay.

Ewan :thumbup1:

It is a simple Srt system but I have found that when using with static line (those that I have tried) That the hitch is extremely temperamental even when using armor pruss with alot of wraps on it.:

Have you tried using so,thing like blaze or velocity? I would not like work positioning on access type lines they have a thin outer which is not as resiliant to abrasion and heat compared to work positioning lines commonly used in tree work. I,ve only seen/used a RW on arborist lines leaving my access lines for jammers and mechanical devices only.

Have you tried using so,thing like blaze or velocity? I would not like work positioning on access type lines they have a thin outer which is not as resiliant to abrasion and heat compared to work positioning lines commonly used in tree work. I,ve only seen/used a RW on arborist lines leaving my access lines for jammers and mechanical devices only.

Yeah I have but for big climbs when I want an efficient ascent I want static line

as standard line is so bouncy its irritating.

Yeah I have but for big climbs when I want an efficient ascent I want static line

as standard line is so bouncy its irritating.

Your obviously using real static line then, as most static line for work have similar stretch to arb lines, I have mammut super static there is nothing static about it bouncier than a bouncy thing, Sterling htp is my preferred choice it is very static but with just enough give to cushion minor slips.

I know the likelihood of having a fall severe enough to cause problems is not likely to happen, do we know though what will on true static lines with a hitch and rw? As mechanical jammers will strip the outer and are designed to do this.

Maybe try to get hold of American yale poison ivy that is pretty static, not sure if it has changed though.