For David and Robarb

Interesting little find today, old tree guards with bark damage (muntjac) some local wood friend has found something to cover the damage up with, something soggy and degradable:thumbup:

This wasnt the only "repair" done by this local wood walker, anyways I am hinting at that thought proscess again. I think this method of regenerating roots has massive applications.:thumbup1:

59765ef058cb2_newfungietc231111135.jpg.e08107a0c34296e0ca72fad3e74ce79f.jpg

59765ef056679_newfungietc231111134.jpg.df8235ea4b9dc51e5cb0f151f0f3d5f4.jpg

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm guessing that local moss has been used?

Are the guards photopervious?

not moss, some kind of carpet underlay that had degraded but remained like some kind of pulp/humus you would find in a decay pocket:thumbup1:

light gets through those gards but not much, there would have been none getting through the material they used.

its not something i have overly got round to looking at yet (adventitious rooting), but have noticed you speak of them in other threads. How long do you think this sort of system shown here had been growing and how stable are they really?

I know and have seen a lot of Fagus do this, especially in the woods near me, is the tree in the photo Castanea sativa? If so it gets me thinking again about relations in Tree families ie in this case Fagaceae, but need to find more cases.

Thanks for the heads up:thumbup:

PS, is that biege thing the underlay? If so am i presuming david the green stuff is the moss...? I suppose mossy conditions would be ideal for new roots with just a hint of soil???

its not something i have overly got round to looking at yet (adventitious rooting), but have noticed you speak of them in other threads. How long do you think this sort of system shown here had been growing and how stable are they really?

I know and have seen a lot of Fagus do this, especially in the woods near me, is the tree in the photo Castanea sativa? If so it gets me thinking again about relations in Tree families ie in this case Fagaceae, but need to find more cases.

Thanks for the heads up:thumbup:

PS, is that biege thing the underlay? If so am i presuming david the green stuff is the moss...? I suppose mossy conditions would be ideal for new roots with just a hint of soil???

If you had a veteran tree with little vascular root connections left, what i am suggesting is that with a simple bit of down pipe, some compost we could recreate root connections.:thumbup1:

1. adventitious rooting ... How long do you think this sort of system shown here had been growing and how stable are they really? I know and have seen a lot of Fagus do this, especially in the woods near me

2. I suppose mossy conditions would be ideal for new roots

Rob,

1. See my MTA case study on the relationship between adventitious beech rootlets and Laccaria amethystina. The rootlets don't contribute to the stability of the tree, they just "feed" the old tree to develop new foliage and start up seedlings with the aid of L. amethystina attached to the rootlets and "nursing" the roots of the young tree with its mycelium as an intermediate between the "mother" tree and its offspring (also see my Beech & Laccaria amethystina thread).

2. Yes, in the case of beeches temporarely loosing their central crown foliage, the moss develops at the base of the trunk, because of rain running down the trunk and light falling on the ground surrounding the tree base.

I have had beech do this in the tree tubes ,especially the old style tubes that dont split apart as good as the new ones,when cutting guards of that are struggling to split loads of water comes out and bark ushally soft almost rotting with what seems like some sort of algea or moss,sometimes ants fill the guards with soil for there nests that can be a pain but might cause roots to develop

I have had beech do this in the tree tubes ,especially the old style tubes that dont split apart as good as the new ones,when cutting guards of that are struggling to split loads of water comes out and bark ushally soft almost rotting with what seems like some sort of algea or moss,sometimes ants fill the guards with soil for there nests that can be a pain but might cause roots to develop

interesting:001_cool: