For David and Robarb

now having the chance to go beyond its 'natural life expectancy' much like some of the many other very fine ancient Beech Pollards here in the Uk (some as old as 6/700 yrs +

David,

Under natural forest conditions, i.e. abiding to the laws of nature and following the tree species specific life cycle, its "natural life expectancy" is not 600-700 years as is the case with artificially pollarded beeches, is it ?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

David,

Under natural forest conditions, i.e. abiding to the laws of nature and following the tree species specific life cycle, its "natural life expectancy" is not 600-700 years as is the case with artificially pollarded beeches, is it ?

It could be if they branch fracture, then root then 'prop' themselves up.

As I've been trying to show you with the assorted shots above :001_smile:

It could be if they branch fracture, then root then 'prop' themselves up.

Any documentation of this strategy resulting in a healthy and long term, i.e. 100-200 + years surviving beech, developing its tree species specific ecosystem, following its tree species specific life cycle and reproducing according to it passing on its genes to a new generation ?

Any documentation of this strategy resulting in a healthy and long term, i.e. 100-200 + years surviving beech, developing its tree species specific ecosystem, following its tree species specific life cycle and reproducing according to it passing on its genes to a new generation ?

It's on going, I'll get back to you in say 2097 :biggrin:

It's on going, I'll get back to you in say 2097.

Deal, but "alle gekheid op een stokje" (= all joking apart), I've monitored beech woods with beeches of all ages all over the European continent and I've never seen this phenomenon happening within a natural forest once.

What is different then to our climes then that this happens often here?

Robin,

How often is often and under what conditions other than inflicted on beeches by men (pollution, pollarding) ? Based upon the lack of documentation, I thought it was exceptional in the U.K. and mostly restricted to pollarded veterans.

Differing from the sea climate in the U.K., depending on the dominant wind direction, in the western parts of the European continent we have a mixture of a sea climate (in The Netherlands 75 % of the year) and land climate (in The Netherlands a quarter (winter period) of the year). Going east, the influence of the land climate increases.

And we have beech forests on poor sandy soils, on rich clay or loam and on calcareous soils, on which the tree species specific ecosystems, including the ectomycorrhizal symbionts, vary to a certain extent.

Deal, but "alle gekheid op een stokje" (= all joking apart), I've monitored beech woods with beeches of all ages all over the European continent and I've never seen this phenomenon happening within a natural forest once.

Gerrit, apart from here in the Uk, I spent time in the Basque region of Spain in 2009 measuring very old lapsed Beech pollards (ok, these are not natural) but did witness 'natural hollowing' & 'layering' quite a few times whilst there.

Can't speak for the rest of Europe because I haven't studied there..........yet :001_smile:

If you haven't already, check out my fung thread from whilst I was there

Travlling fungalburies

DSC00007.JPG.c45b290878c0137d6733c8ef90b20c59.JPG

59765f0414ac8_AresoDavidintree.jpg.168480761a1291475e5416e04bb0e063.jpg

59765f0410ae2_Entziafelledbeechstump(2).JPG.e10b2b1e5aa8acfb7647ce74d4110412.JPG

DSC09996.JPG.52cda7ebd2e78e56d8023ac687d06d22.JPG

DSC00934.JPG.b122b301a77bcabb5452ae1497cae19a.JPG

DSC00777.JPG.bf291c1f45394b040fd0beba15349e56.JPG

DSC00776.JPG.2df8d663ad624237d6effb49c101fb2f.JPG

IMG_4318.jpg.b2909b5150c033383696bbbbe1880e14.jpg

DSC00462.jpg.edb29ce312308def7641530e6c99fd88.jpg

DSC00453.jpg.3f9cdc4c522d21944674deebe034bebb.jpg

DSC00454.JPG.7b5ecf7f07ac042e010850229058d280.JPG

the Basque region of Spain in 2009 measuring very old lapsed Beech pollards (ok, these are not natural) but did witness 'natural hollowing' & 'layering' quite a few times whilst there. Can't speak for the rest of Europe because I haven't studied there ....

2. If you haven't already, check out my fung thread from whilst I was there Travelling fungalburies

David,

1. Need I say more :biggrin: ?

2. I did, remember I told you the long stalked Marasmius smelling of garlic :001_huh: was M. alliaceus ?