What Chainsaw

derwen

I'm new on here. Completed my CS30/31 earlier this year..Just doing a few jobs a month and looking at a cheap saw. Work will mainly be logs and fell a few small trees. Looking at Stihl MS 181 or 211 or Husky 240. Any advice please. People talk about small trees on other threads, but what are you calling small trees - I would be looking at 12 - 14". Many thanks

personally I don't like the smaller Stihls, the chain oiler is pants, chains seem to stretch and they take a long while to warm up from cold... can't comment on the Husky, never used any of their homeowner saws.

Personally I have been won over by the Efco MT3500, cracking little saw of the same sort of size as the ones you mentioned. If you have a local dealer, that would be the one I would go for.

My Uncle was a N/T warden and has a 180 that is his only saw, and uses it for a lot of applications. Its a few years old now and has cut many loads of firewood, felled and thined both hard and softwood plantations.

He swears by it!

I use saws a lot, and have found Huskys to be very ergonomic to use, when they arent breaking down. It may just be me, though my colleages seem to have the same experience, but start/ stop switches fail and fuel leaks are common.

Go for stihl if you want reliability-

Only one makes sense to me . Husqvarna 346 XP. I have had two since 2004. The first was the slightly smaller capacity with no decomp valve the second the 50cc with the decomp valve. The only reason I got the second was the first was stolen. Neither have ever quit on me . I do clean the air filter and change the plug but thats it. 13 or 15 inch bar.The best power to weight ratio of any saw I believe. Its the saw I grab every time if I can . I have 357,372,385,395,and 3120.:thumbup1:

Edited by Stubby