Any 28bore game shooters on here?

Charlieh

I am toying with getting a 28bore, I have been keeping an eye out for a side by side, i missed out on a lovely BSA the other day.

Im mostly wanting it for walked up days and partridges, and wondered if anyone else on here used them seriously. Im really tempted by a Zabala Berri-Luxe, semi piston grip, multi choke! (not common on a 28b) an chambered for 3" and I think they look a nice gun,

110414110301001-1.jpg

Im not a brand snob, most my Game shooting is done with a very old BRNO side by side, and I can put guys with very expensive guns to shame :thumbup::lol:

I will be using my 12b for driven days on Phesants, but just after something a little lighter and more fun for walked days and driven partridges :thumbup:

So anyone else with a 28b want to give me any advice, or put up a picture of your gun?

Cheers Charlie

i bought a 20 bore last season for driven pheasant and partridge... i think on certain shots i was under gunned compared with a 12 bore... and it makes me laugh when people with either 28 or 20 bores buy and shoot 28 or even 30 gram cartridges through them.. they kick like hell and thats a fact... at most 24 gram or pref 21 gram is all that should be fired through both... if not you may as well shoot a 12.... i'm back to shootin my 12 this season...

Cartridges are dear and no one will have any if you run out:001_smile: Apart from that lovely size.

I have no issues with cartridges as my uncle imports literally millions per year :thumbup:

If you want a ladies gun - get a 20 bore :001_rolleyes:

and I suppose your the type of person that recons a .410 is a kids gun rather than an experts gun,

mmmmm ,also depends whats being shot mr stockbridge a 20 bore is no good for nowt unless close range and rat sized

I think you would realise with the most basic of grasps of balisitics that this isnt the case. I have shot with all sizes of shotgun, .410, 36, 20, 16, 12, 10, I am aware of the limitiations of most guns,

And as Mick said its about where you put the lead, and I would be looking at using a lighter load, as I shot 32grm RC SIPE's through my 12b, mainly as I pick my birds and dont blow the hell out of low birds and am generally pegged on the ends or as a backgun. Im there for the sport not to boost numbers in the bag, and would rather shoot one or two good birds then let someone else have a go.

personally i tend to shoot the same gun for every thing now adays, i had a 10g and 3 12g once and some days would shoot with 3 different guns my shooting went down hill fast, i then decided that i would buy myself a 20g (ladies gun) had the stock altered to suit and shot with it for the last 7 years with a vast improvment of shots to kills,shoot pigeons, duck, partrige, phesents and geese yes geese and its the most swingable gun i have ever had and i have had a few, on a driven day not long ago the first bird i shot was about 60 yds (not rat size, gerbal size) folded stone dead,with 24grm the shoot captain was on next peg up and shouted if your going to do that all day you can have your money back,on the same shoot last sat i stood next to my cousin who shoots a 28g with great success so him drop 3 birds that would be 45-50 yds, so 28s do kill in the right hands you just have a tighter pattern and the same with the 20g over a 12g,the 28 (ceaser gurrini)was not much lighter than my 20 (lincoln premiure)and if i was you i would buy 1 or the other that suits your needs best and forget the 12g as after 12 monthes with a smaller more sporting gun you will pick the 12g up and think did i really shoot with that heavey lump, all the best in your search.

28s are a good gun for walked up grouse and ptarmigan when one is doing more walking than shooting, to be honest I have only shot driven partridge but they will kill most anything you can with a 12. I shot one for years and it killed everything, pheasant, partridges, ducks and geese on stubble.

I was loading on a shoot Devon that was putting out the highest pheasants last year.The chap was shooting with a rather lovely pair of 28b David McKay-Browns. He had a 1/3 kill ratio.

mmmmm ,also depends whats being shot mr stockbridge a 20 bore is no good for nowt unless close range and rat sized

Your either being sarcastic or you know SFA about shooting! :001_rolleyes: