Female's on the tools?

Mike Hill

Im afraid Janey is right to a degree, performance can not be maintained past 40 IMO.

It is simple realities, look at any sport, Boxing, running, football. do you see 40 plus playing pro football, or boxing? very very rarely and they soon wise up or get subbed!

course you can climb, but commercial work like sport requires a level of performance, and besides, anyone whos reached that kind of age is more use using thier experience to look after other aspects and the team than climbing.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im afraid Janey is right to a degree, performance can not be maintained past 40 IMO.

It is simple realities, look at any sport, Boxing, running, football. do you see 40 plus playing pro football, or boxing? very very rarely and they soon wise up or get subbed!

course you can climb, but commercial work like sport requires a level of performance, and besides, anyone whos reached that kind of age is more use using thier experience to look after other aspects and the team than climbing.

Utter rubbish!!!!

Regarding gender, I think it's much more down to the individual. In my neck of the woods, if you are a weak guy or gal, you aren't going to get much of a tonnage down.

Additionally, work ethic counts for more than physical strength anyway. When I'm needing a lackey for sawmilling, I nearly always employ a female furniture maker I'm friends with as I know that as well as being as strong as an ox, she works damned hard.

Silly thread I guess!

Totally wrong!

I think your building your part up a bit, climbing trees for a living can be hard but its not sport, i worked with a bloke of 55 and he was fine, bit slower but he never had to go back on his work, we are tree trimmers and fellers not finely tuned athletes.

Utter rubbish!!!!

I'm with you on this one.

Yes, the realities are that wear and tear takes it's toll on the body as you get older and recovery time becomes longer as you age.

But knowledge and technique also play a huge part in in any job and climbing is no exception. An older climber can easily out perform a teenager (obviously, there will always be exceptions) because of their experience.

Again, it is so dependant on the individual's ability and mental attitude.

we are tree trimmers and fellers not finely tuned athletes.

You speak for yourself!!!!!!!:sneaky2:

Some of us are!!! :biggrin:

:lol: I wish!!!!!:blushing:

Yes, the realities are that wear and tear takes it's toll on the body as you get older and recovery time becomes longer as you age.

But knowledge and technique also play a huge part in in any job and climbing is no exception. An older climber can easily out perform a teenager (obviously, there will always be exceptions) because of their experience.

Very well put Janey!!! with you 100%!!:thumbup1:

what I wanted to say but much better.