stopburningourtrees

StephF

This is a petition that registers support for anyone who thinks that it is not sustainable to use UK timber grown for construction etc to be used to fuel bio mass power stations. (nothing to do with firewood,) this affects us as firewood producers as the price of cordwood has risen due to the demand caused by the biomass power stations)

A debate can be held in parliament if 100,000 signatures. site is: http://www.stopburningour trees.org

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems to me that for every source of power, there is a group of people violently opposed to it. Coal fired power stations? ooh no think of the carbon emissions; nuclear power? ooh no you'll give us all leukemia?; massive reserves of natural gas under Lancashire? can't do that, getting it out causes tiny earthquakes; tidal power? but what about the poor seabirds?; windfarms then? not in my back yard matey; how about generators powered by burning waste then? What and give kids brain damage?

Until someone cracks nuclear fusion there is no perfect way of generating electricity, what's so wrong with biomass power stations anyway?

I've haggled over timber prices when supply has been short, £30 tonne was what I was told could be got at a biomass plant last winter. It will get more expensive as the pressure is on for FC to supply contracts to bio mass and the building industry, as the numbers of trees were not planted 30 years ago for electricity production in 2011 and future,(This is what I've been told by people who know (not me!) we work on the planting side in the winter, extra trees are not being planted, less if anything, and those wont be harvested for a long time.

I've haggled over timber prices when supply has been short, £30 tonne was what I was told could be got at a biomass plant last winter. It will get more expensive as the pressure is on for FC to supply contracts to bio mass and the building industry, as the numbers of trees were not planted 30 years ago for electricity production in 2011 and future,(This is what I've been told by people who know (not me!) we work on the planting side in the winter, extra trees are not being planted, less if anything, and those wont be harvested for a long time.

Was the 30 t at roadside or delivered in. I was cutting chestnut last year at this time and price at roadside for chip wood was £19.50 a ton I've been told they are offering 14.50 ton at the moment if it was £30 a tonne at roadside I would sell them every bit of chestnut I've got

As i understand things the UK timber market is tiny for construction. UK softwoods arent gradeable in general, due to the speed they grow making the rings too fat, thus rendering it too wide to be gradeable. we import almost all of our softwood construction timber, and a large part of our hardwood too.

As i understand things the UK timber market is tiny for construction. UK softwoods arent gradeable in general, due to the speed they grow making the rings too fat, thus rendering it too wide to be gradeable. we import almost all of our softwood construction timber, and a large part of our hardwood too.

Not quite true. One of my contacts is the owner of one of the largest sawmill companies in the UK. They do have a mill in Latvia, but most of their timber is UK produced, mainly in Scotland. European redwood (Scots Pine), whitewood (Norway Spruce) and Larch are all converted at a staggering rate. I reckon their Carlisle plant was processing a 4m log every 30s or so, running about 16hrs a day. Much of the larger section material was being graded - in the UK certification is via TRADA.

Alec