HSE Madness

TRADITIONAL LOGGERS

Reminds me of the child who drowned while a CSO looked on, unable to get in the water because of some ridiculous paranoia about rules and regulations. [And probably a good dollop of self preservation]

Without wishing to come across as a bitter old Tory, this country has gone a little bit too much like Communist Russia circa 1954 over that last decade & a half... Rules & regulations are of INIFINITELY greater importance than human life....

Our neighbour rolled a tractor many moons ago and was trapped by the arm between the wheel and mudguard... Having watched the fire 'service' argue [to no conclusion] over how to extract the poor upside down farmer for far too long, they fetched another tractor & a chain and pulled the tractor off his arm, jemmied the wing back up and job done.... I ask you... what EXACTLY do they train to do....?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

do you know any:confused1:

I've seen the site. Its bloody obvious anyone with half a brain could've got that woman out with a little bit of quick thinking and a reasonable amount of grit.

Mind you, what with you working for a local authority and being totally institutionalised you've have stood there with the firemen pondering rescue techniques whilst making meaningless notes, cup of coffee in hand acting all dramatic like you knew what to do but alas....'your hands were tied' by 'red tape'

18 firemen and 6 hours to get that woman out - massive fail. These firemen are responsible for that woman's death.

To add insult to injury Strathclyde Fire Service have refused to apologise to the woman's family.

One good tree surgeon with a climbing rope and a couple of sensible bystanders could've rescued that woman

But in view of the obsurde 53rd state that we live in i would guess that if the woman had be rescued by a tree surgeon with a climing rope and a couple of sensible people and still had not survived then the tre surgeon and couple good people would today be starting a 5-10 stretch !!!!!

Im really not making light of such a situation but surely had they braided all of the red tape surronding this situation together they would have had enough line to rescue 5 people form a 40ft shaft !!!!!!!

This country really does need to get a grip of its self :thumbdown:

But in view of the obsurde 53rd state that we live in i would guess that if the woman had be rescued by a tree surgeon with a climing rope and a couple of sensible people and still had not survived then the tre surgeon and couple good people would today be starting a 5-10 stretch !!!!!

Im really not making light of such a situation but surely had they braided all of the red tape surronding this situation together they would have had enough line to rescue 5 people form a 40ft shaft !!!!!!!

This country really does need to get a grip of its self :thumbdown:

Thats simply not true.

But its claims like that stop people from even trying.

Thats simply not true.

Try? here's an idea straight off the top of my head

1 - reversed 4x4 right up near the hole

2 - attached a pulley to your towbar with a choked sling

3 - with climbing rope now through pulley - lower yourself down on regular doubled rope system (swabisch slack tender micro pulley system or VT Hitchclimber or similar

4 - put harness on victim make quick shoulder support with flipline.

5 - attached victim to rope

6 - pull victim up by pulling trailing end of line getting bystanders at top to help with the pulling, friction hitch self tends.

7 - victim at hole entrance pulled out by bystanders

Its rough, but it'd work.

Edited by scotspine1

Thats simply not true.

No not at all , did you ever read about the first aider that was taken to court by a woman that had a heart attac in bussy shopping center ? the first aider used a defib to Resuscitate her had to open her blouse etc to do so . the guy was sued by her and she was sucsessfull .

Would you not think that sould you try to rescue a casualty using non approved systems of work and being untrained that sh ouldthe casualty die you may be found to be partailly responsible ??

I personally would take the risk and do the very best that i could to rescue someone and to hell with the outcome of the law but never the less i thought i would point out the other side of the argument

Try? here's an idea straight off the top of my head

1 - reversed 4x4 right up near the hole

2 - attached a pulley to your towbar with a choked sling

3 - with climbing rope now through pulley - lower yourself down on regular doubled rope system (swabisch slack tender micro pulley system or VT Hitchclimber or similar

4 - put harness on victim make quick shoulder support with flipline.

5 - attached victim to eye end of rope

6 - pull victim up by pulling trailing end of line getting bystanders at top to help with the pulling, friction hitch self tends.

7 - victim at hole entrance pulled out by bystanders

Its rough, but it'd work.

yes but sadly not known to you the victim had a broken neck , the sudden pulling motion on the way up resulted in the victim passing away before reaching the surfce .

im not trying to put anyone off trying to rescue someone but meerly outlining a possible outcome , and one in which the decent persons trying to rescue the victim quickly become the villan in the eyes of the general public .

No not at all , did you ever read about the first aider that was taken to court by a woman that had a heart attac in bussy shopping center ? the first aider used a defib to Resuscitate her had to open her blouse etc to do so . the guy was sued by her and she was sucsessfull .

Would you not think that sould you try to rescue a casualty using non approved systems of work and being untrained that sh ouldthe casualty die you may be found to be partailly responsible ??

I personally would take the risk and do the very best that i could to rescue someone and to hell with the outcome of the law but never the less i thought i would point out the other side of the argument

Please give a link to documentary evidence of such a real case.

These accounts are often urban myths.

This incident is well known in Scotland, the 'firefighters' (as they pathically liked to be known now, because 'firemen' isn't cool enough)

Firemen are called firefighters now because of the sexual discrimination act. When I was one we got told not to hold a door open for a lady. Because would you hold a door open for a man. Course I would. What a load of bollo.