Starting up a business .... ??

abigail.waddecar

Hi dan and David that's definatley the way forward I don't do finance in any form it's the best way, that way your profits are yours and you are not always having to pay back someone before you can eat yourself.

I have seen many small arb companies up to there neck in finance agreements and struggling to stay above . It takes the fun out of the the job you love as you are tied and have to make a certain amount this leads to Stress if you cannot make it and all the other problems that lead on from that .

Stay small if you have to but keep it simple and you will make money and and stay happy .

All the best littletree:thumbup:

I have invested in cycle shops, asian stock exchanges, building societies and Iceland:blushing:

All have been mediocre.

Other than property best investment I have ever made is me.

I sold what little I had to sell and set up in business without any sword of Damocles hanging over me in the form of finance repayments.

I cut all my outgoings down and moved into a smaller property.

From this solid and viable base I re-launched my business.

It would be a sad day I couldn't meet what few outgoings I have.

Ty

Funding can be very difficult if not impossible to get. Bank loans are pretty much the only way and even then are not so easy to get. I prefer to build up slowly and buy equipment as and when i have saved enough money to do so. Paying back loans can be crippling and not worth it imo unless you have a huge contract with guaranteed cash flow.

this is exactley what i am doing, i am self employed at weekends, and employed through the week. i would love to be self employed and im really trying to make ago of it.

thought of a bank loan, but ive taken the route of work hard, save hard and buy what i need not what i want. I have had a steady flow of weekend work, which is helping me pay off bills, etc quicker and once my tax etc is paid and when they are all gone with a clean slate behind me, i will then save for be it a saw, climbing rope, truck, harness etc, and im finding it more fun this way as the gear i already have bought and saved for gives you a sense of pride and the desire to achieve the goals you want and i own my gear, not the bank man. And i certainly know it will not happen over night!

Ask dad! I bought mt son's first saw as a birthday present, bought a van for my own small gardening concern which is used solely for his work now, bought a small Ifor Williams P7 trailer with same outcome! I've also got him other equipment for chrimbo etc. I do a lot of basic (untrained) groundie work for him as well for free. He keeps all his gear in my workshop so has very low overheads which is vital when starting out. It means no chipper so all waste is trailered to local composting tip which is a pain. My point is start small & build up slowly (with help from dad if poss). If you take out any sort of loan you need to guarantee a certain amount of work just to pay it off before any living costs. It means you won't be competing against the big guys but by keeping your rates low you should get volume of work. You can then raise your rates gradually as you build up work/equipment and size of jobs you can take on.

Started with nothing and would love to say that hard work etc was the way and boy have I worked.

BUT

I look back and sometimes I know that I should have borrowed and got the big kit I needed rather than struggle.

What I'm saying is that it is OK to borrow so long as you appreciate it!!

Not just for a shiney new vehicle when a second hand one would suffice and leave you with money for a chipper/other kit.

Capital investment is good

I think most people will start by doing the odd job here and there, subbing for people along with doing a bit for themselves. I started this way in the UK. A lot of hard work but it can be done. I have a company in NZ now, wasn't going to start from scratch again! Borrowed some money against the house for a 9" chipper and then a bit later bought a 13t truck. It is a bit more of a risk but if you get the work in it's a hell of a lot easier!