Upgrading Defender to heavy duty

Crazy Cutter

Can anyone tell me how to upgrade a defender/110 3050kg to 3500kg heavy duty for the purposes of the VIN plate?

I would guess heavy duty springs with co-xial helper springs but correct me if more is required and then what? Where do i take it to get the new plate?

Anyway thanks in advance. Just feel the extra half tonne (nearly) will come in handy when VOSA send me to the weighbridge!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally would just buy a 130

You can upgrade a 110 to HD but you are lacking the beefed up chassis which the 130 has.

The 130 has double thickness chassis, an extra inner helper spring on the rear and a HD salisbury rear axle

It's ex-mod so has the Hd salisbury, helper spring i can fit but does it need the beefy chassis?

What do you require for the vin upgrade new truck is out of the question this ones an E only just run in!

Hi

There is a thread on here somewhere as I remember seeing it.

Changing the plate is easy you can do that yourself. Just buy one of e bay and stamp it your self with the details(had to do this myself landrover wanted alot of money for it but the police of all people told me to do it myself).

The problem is notifying the dvla i tried to update the v5 by requesting dvla default setting of 3499kgs for one of mine but they just sent it back to me unchanged.

I think you may have to have a sva test by vosa if you want to go all the way.

I have enquired extensively about the heavy duty thing, and am assured that the wall thickness is a myth to all intents and purposes on 110. There are slight differences to some of the gussets where the parts of the chassis join, but other than that the main issue is the suspension and brakes, which if you have the Hi-cap will be the same as the 130 anyway. (all this info from my landrover dealers who have been working on them for 50 odd years, and have cut and welded pretty much every conceivable chassis variant there is.

My understanding of the 110 HD's were that they went into LRSV as a standard 3050kg 110 and rolled out with bigger brakes (off the 130), helper springs and the extra plate welded top and bottom pretty much full length of the chassis rails.

Have a look at any 110 HD (and any 130 that has been through LRSV) and they wont have the typical seam in the middle of the chassis rails - there will be a bead of weld along the corners.

Here is the response i got ftom the relevant govt department when i inquired about stretching my 110 to a 130.

Thank you for your email of 13 October regarding changes to your vehicle.

The first thing you would need to do would be to contact the vehicle manufacturer to confirm if any changes are feasible.

The garage would have to be a reputable one and as mentioned your insurance company would need to know. DVLA would need to know for any change on the registration document.

I hope this helps.

Pat Negus

Correspondence Section

International Vehicle Standards Division

1/33 Great Minster House

33 Horseferry Road

LONDON

SW1P 4DR

0207 944 2076

GTN 3533 2076

ive looked at/ welded/ plated / replaced many chassis's on both 110's & 130's, never found any different wall thickness, slight alterations over the years but nothing consistent....... the upgrade is only allowing 500 kg extra gvw, or look at it another way.. 125 kg per corner....... i dont think the chassis is any different!