day rate

bill

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you employ a climber on £400 per week and a groundie on £300 per week, thats £700 on wages, add on a bit for employers NICs, sick pay and holiday pay, so say £750 per week to run your two man team.

With staff of sufficient quality to command those wages, you should be charging at least £350 per day for that team, so they should be bringing in £1750 per week.

If it all works as it should, that wage is not unreasonable.

The only firm that have paid me £20,000 pa as a climber, (not a foreman, just a climber), were charging £720 per day for 2 man team, vehicle and chipper. So I guess they should have been able to afford it.

• 2 weeks later...
You got to make money guys ! The fact that you enjoy the work is great but Unimogs, tipper lorries, fuel, yards,insurance etc costs fortunes !When all your stuff is f*$#ed where will the money come from to replace it ? Id rather turn it in than sell myself short !

Exactly! So many undercharge to the point they can't afford to replace and in some cases service their kit.

In effect, your customer is hiring around £50Ks worth if kit plus operators for the day, if you include MEWP they're hiring £90ks worth.

...and as Ben says, that doesn't include yard, rates, insurance etc etc etc

I aim for £400 per day for me and a groundsmen for basic jobs, £600 with Mewp and it isn't a massive profit margin at that!

Lose the yard, public and employers liability, service costs, depreciation cost and you could charge £150 a day I'm sure, but then you would have to burn your brash on site after your chipper wears out. :)

If you employ a climber on £400 per week and a groundie on £300 per week, thats £700 on wages, add on a bit for employers NICs, sick pay and holiday pay, so say £750 per week to run your two man team.

£50 for two guys sick, holiday and employers NI .

You obviously have never been an employer.

I'm sure Mr Ed will confirm your figures are a little on the down side.

Try these.

basic pay. = £ 400 pw = £ 20800 pa.

20 days paid holiday = £ 1600 pa

sick , say 5 days = £ 400. pa

Employers NIC approx £ 1664. pa

Total £ 24464 pa

That is 70 pounds a week over the wages for one bloke.

Thats before a full set of kit , saws and breakage or loss of kit.

Then employees turn up each day thinking they are the dogs... and want wads of dosh for sweet f.a.

Some are good I'm sure but most would faint if they knew what was really happening in the bosses bank account.

Unfortunately I live where there are 70 plus firms in the yellow pages and probably as many skanky outfits who trawl the doorsteps for work. I live near the sea too so my work area is limited. I would love 600+vat a day but nobody gets that due to oversupply of firms.