Abolition of the small trailer exemption Dec 4th 2011

Niceboy

What is the taxation class of your truck, PLG or commercial?

There is a difference most 4x4 are PLG so are still dual purpose.

As for the exemptions its really something agriculture would be fighting hard to retain so as they are so quiet i would guess the exemptions will remain for forestry and farming etc? Perhaps a farming arbtalk member could contact their NFU rep? (the union not insurance) to see if they know anything. Is there a difference between tree surgery, forestry, delivering wood or sawmills for the OL. We have sawmills delivering building timber here in Norfolk that are OL exempt and classed as forestry, is there a difference between that and log delivery's? You will also be surprised how restrictive 31 miles is going to be.

On the subject of Credit Cards have you recently tried to obtain funding from a bank? We have been waiting now for 3 months for a simple low value re-mortgage to be approved and we also know someone who makes a half million profit every year without fail but was turned down for 100 grand mortgage!

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion VOSA and the government in general did not fight hard enough against the imposition of the legislation.

I don't think VOSA are going to fight for less road traffic legislation: the more of it there is, the more there is to do, and the more important the agency becomes on the scale of things; the more important the agency becomes, the more highly paid the senior managers should be (all that responsibility, don't you know :001_rolleyes:).

The only time the government will resist EU legislation is when it threatens the power of industry management (eg UK have exemption from a lot of the the social obligations like worker participation etc), or when it becomes inconvenient for land owners (eg. the agri/forestry exemptions).

Is not your chipper just another tool of the trade? You don't hire it out and you don't get a reward for using it just as a tool for the job. A bit like a saw?

My understanding of this is that your chipper is NOT classed as a trailer, but as a machine I.E it is not used,or even capable of carrying goods so impossible to have a laden/unladen weight! Ive been pulled over twice by the "high viz jacket brigade" (VOSA) in the landy with the woodmizer on the back. Both times I got the usual "can we have the key for your fuel cap", a quick look at the tyres/washers/lights etc and after a dissapointed sigh because I wasnt running on red got sent on my way!

I dont know if the mizer came under the forestry exemption?? If anybody can clarify this let me know!

You will need to check this for yourself. Those towing a trailer with their own goods will still be exempt if the un-laden weight of the trailer is 1020kg or below. Logs are still your goods until delivered. The people this will hit are removal firms. couriers etc who are moving other peoples goods using small trailers. The dual purpose exemption will still exist as well, which is 4x4s or vehicles with seats behind the driver(2040kg unladen?).

So tree surgeons should be ok in a transit with a chipper as goods for yourself but check for yourself whether your employees are covered by drivers hours regs. It should also mean we don't have to worry about the 50km rule.

Still haven't found out anything about trailer MOTs but maybe that will only apply to those who now need a OL?

What is the taxation class of your truck, PLG or commercial?

There is a difference most 4x4 are PLG so are still dual purpose.

As for the exemptions its really something agriculture would be fighting hard to retain so as they are so quiet i would guess the exemptions will remain for forestry and farming etc? Perhaps a farming arbtalk member could contact their NFU rep? (the union not insurance) to see if they know anything. Is there a difference between tree surgery, forestry, delivering wood or sawmills for the OL. We have sawmills delivering building timber here in Norfolk that are OL exempt and classed as forestry, is there a difference between that and log delivery's? You will also be surprised how restrictive 31 miles is going to be.

On the subject of Credit Cards have you recently tried to obtain funding from a bank? We have been waiting now for 3 months for a simple low value re-mortgage to be approved and we also know someone who makes a half million profit every year without fail but was turned down for 100 grand mortgage!

My 4x4 ranger says Light Goods Vehicle on the V5. Thats the same, as it does not say commercial vehicle. You're right about credit cards. Not only have you to thik aabout paying the money back if you need it for repairs, you've to add interest to that as well.

My 4x4 ranger says Light Goods Vehicle on the V5. Thats the same, as it does not say commercial vehicle. You're right about credit cards. Not only have you to thik aabout paying the money back if you need it for repairs, you've to add interest to that as well.

the credit card is ther to prove you have the funds in place if required, dosnt mean to say you have to use it ,if you have enough in yr bank use a debt card ,simples:biggrin:

Sadly it probably is inevitable if we all took that attitude, although judging from some of the replies I'm not sure it would cause hardship for everyone.

But why stop at 3.5tonnes? Why not make it 500kgs and daily checks, that should keep my family safe. Ah, but only if the high risk under 25's were limited to 10mph and then perhaps in 2015 make it under 45's limited to 5mph. Before long we could legislate accidents out of existence!

Where will it all end? When do we say enough's enough? I'd want to see the data which proves the population is being annihilated by Transits which don't operate out of an approved centre before I stopped fighting against operator's licences for 3.5 tonners.

Your dead right!

Here in Norway they have the Money to implement all the EU's ridiculous legislation and a passive populace.Here are two examples

One can Drive a 40 Ton Truck with a "C" Class Licence,however one cannot tow a 751KG Trailer with Said Truck or Passenger Car without an "E" Endorsement on your Licence.Its a snip at £2200 to get.

Next year all Trailers regardless of weight will have to have an annual inspection.

You have all this to look forward to.....