Porting an MS200t

Rich Rule

Well it’s like this

When your machine arrives out of the box the manufacturer certifies that it conforms to the PUWER regulations. (or you shouldn’t buy it). If you modify it in any way, it no longer conforms to the regs.

The issue of end of day working was addressed in the last cut syndrome and while I accept that a lighter saw means lees fatigue but a light saw with up rated power and the longest bar it can run also carries and increased potential for kickback.

In the event of an accident where a modified saw is found to be involved any EL insurance is going to have all the excuse they need to drop you like a hot spud. The HSE aren’t going to be happy either.

Andy

Thanks, i will give this some thought Andy, especially with regard to the increased kickback, a point on which i may disagree

ooer. now I'm really scared - I'm a bit of a wimp see, and could'nt handle a saw with a bit more poke......NOT!

Not sure if you guys remember the old square metal 020? now that was a saw that taught you fear and respect...

Yeah i had one of those..... all saws should be respected...but never feared!!:scared1:

The way the unguarded straight thru steel exhaust would burn through your pants in 0.00083 seconds was pretty terrifying:ohmy:

That exhaust was a seriously useful bit of kit, you could take the filter out and clear the gauze with the exhaust fumes. It kept your hands warm while the groundies cleared up and it was invaluable for defrosting vehicle doors after a minus 12 Berlin night.

If anyone needs them I have a few top handle covers (they got broke a lot)

The handling power thing isn’t the real issue. The issue is getting sued by an ambulance chasing lawyer, or prosecuted by the HSE for offences under PUWER.

Andy

Nice one Andy. Brought back some good memories - especially the hand warming. A lot of newer climber's have never had the joy of the old 020.

Seriously though, I remember working with Liam from treevolution, his 020 melted about 6 square inches of nylon chainsaw pant into his leg, causing 1st degree burns. Horrendous it was, seeing all that flesh and melted nylon stuck to it.

I once put a gauze in the exhaust to try and quiten it down, checked it next day it had blown it through.

Your totally right T'quip, but regardless of HSE/Insurance issues modding saws is a complete and utter waste of time. Lifes too short to be pissing into the wind with a modded saw.

If anyone here wants to understand what modding a saw does to your personality visit Arboristsite.com....in the chainsaw forum you can see the remnants of hundreds of human beings endlessly yapping on about the intricacies of modding a saw and performance enhancement BS meanwhile their lives are frittered away into the abyss that is modded saw oblivion of which there is no way out.

Yawn.

But no, modding saws can be a waste of time unless you quite enjoy doing it. Modding a MS200t could be a total waste of time as it's a powerful saw anyway.

Two stroke tuning is a valid subject and it has been carried out on bikes and in the karting world for years.

If you have any doubts about tuning saws as regards to PUWER then don't do it, don't change the bar and chain for a smaller one or change the drive sprocket this will change the performance of a standard saw, just don't do it, it's scary and probably against all known decency's.