Cant believe im asking this...

tree_boy

Hello. Im really keen to get into tree surgery and arboriculture but, alot of you will probably laugh at this and think what an idiot, but I have trouble with climbing. I had a go with a mate that is qualified and it seems every time I get to two or three times my height I get nervous and a bit apprehensive. Its not that im scared of heights because ive always been able to stand on balconys and go on chair lifts stuff like that no problem. I think its got something to do with trusting the equipment. Did anyone else have this sort of problem? Is it normal? :blushing: I really dont want to give up because of this Im hoping I can get over it. I must be able to? Any help id really appreciate. Cheers.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ill admit it i was scared of climbing tree's when i first started, any one who said they where not is BS every climber will reach there limit, Mine was 75ft up a lime tree with a fellow Arb Talker on the ground, Gave him one quick call and he calmed me down and never stopped encouraging. To get as far up this tree as i could. I did get to the point where i said i have got to where i feel happy now get your ass up this tree and do the rest of the dead wooding . Every now and again some one shouting on the ground come on lad your doing fantastic really dose encourage some one With not a lot of talent in climbing tree, You will get over it just takes time I'm 3 years in and still get the wobbles.

i was worried about the equipment until we started mucking about at college being tied from the smallest crotch on an oak tree with the tail wrapped round another 30ft away whilst all your mates jump on the line seems to give everyone in our class confidence in the equipment