Split stem felling!

Stevietrees

As a tree surgeon you have to adapt your techniques for various circumstances. With this tree, two parts of the crown were split apart right down the stem so we had to fell them as individual stems. This was a new technique developed by Treestyle Arboriculture. (As far as I know?)

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Watch it below and notice the double sink made with bore cuts.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SCf0BYQCJU]Felling a dangerous tree in North Cheshire near Manchester - YouTube[/ame]

Treestyle Arboriculture: Professional Tree Surgeons, Manchester

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmm i dont think there was any need for the second gob in the middle and i would just have felled as normal, with a sink cut to form the hinge first then come back almost all the way, then finish with a small back cut. Doesnt really matter anyway cos its down and it worked:thumbup1:

Im still new in to the arbor, To limit the danger of the tree splitting like it did could you not use a ratchet strap to reduce it so far. To give the feller a better idea on where it will go once it has hit the ground. From the video you only get to see one angle

The middle hinge did not act as a hinge, if you watch there is no bending of that hinge, it just pops staight up, that gob was not needed.

I would have just treated the split as the back of the normal hinge and cut my normal gob to creat a hinge of the required width between my gob and the split.

I like the running!!:thumbup1:

Thanks for taking the time to share.

Edited by skyhuck

Thanks for the replies. I think a combination of the ratchet strap and the normal bore cut suggestions would be best yes. The split did have a clear gap to 5 metres so we did think to treat them as individual trees. Good to do a safe experiment though.

Safe felling!

Treestylearb.com