pto 6 spline shaft

David Riding

Just for curiosity’s sake, why would it be a different job?

The short answer is if it’s a tractor fixing it will likely have you up to your elbows in gearbox oil.

The output shaft in a mog is set up in a remote housing and isn’t part of the transmission although some models have a small gearbox to change the location of the output shaft. Generally changing the universal joint and carrier bearing is pretty simple and the parts are available from any decent engineering factors.

Tractor output shafts are located in the rear axle housing. Working on them usually involves dropping the oil and if you are unlucky the gearbox has to come apart. As someone said it doesn’t do to have a worn bearing braking up and loosing abrasive particles into the gearbox. With a tractor you are likely to be on main agent parts and prices.

Some tractors have “swap out” shafts for different speeds. If not fitted properly they vibrate quite badly (before they fall out).

I once bought a David Brown for breaking with an output shaft so badly bent it wobbled about like one of those kiddie rides outside a supermarket. Hilarious to watch but very bad for PTO shafts.

I've just done the bearings in the PTO box on my mog.Although only the rear output bearing was going bad,I took the box completely out and replaced all the bearings right through.Having the box off I discovered that the PTO thrust ring had fallen off the clutch fingers and broken a finger mount in the process.I am pleased I took the whole box off.

You might be lucky and find all the bearing at another supplier,but as some have a groove in the casing for an external circlip you might have to source those from a dealer.

If I had been inclined to only replace the rear output bearing,then you could do it by taking off the rear output flange and after taking draining the oil,take the rear cover off the output and intermediate shaft.There is a drain plug under the rear PTO shaft but I would advise against undoing it,as they can be hard to acess and since you are taking the rear cover off,oil in that area will come out the back.