Price of firewood

shendy

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes they are .6 if you fill them in a filling cage so they truely measure 85x85x85

The problem is.. they bulge, so the customer gets a lot more than .6 more like .8

No they still hold 0.61m3. As it bulges in the middle the corners get pulled in to make it into an almost circle.

If you add up all the sides (4 x 0.85) you get 3.4m of wall length.

Then using pi you work out the radius you get a 1.08m cylinder (0.504m radius) that is 0.85m high.

The volume of that cylinder is 0.66m3. A circle is the most efficient storage shape for a given wall length so explains the extra 0.05m3.

No they still hold 0.61m3. As it bulges in the middle the corners get pulled in to make it into an almost circle.

If you add up all the sides (4 x 0.85) you get 3.4m of wall length.

Then using pi you work out the radius you get a 1.08m cylinder (0.504m radius) that is 0.85m high.

The volume of that cylinder is 0.66m3. A circle is the most efficient storage shape for a given wall length so explains the extra 0.05m3.

I'm sorry, but I have carried out an experiment, filling a bag with support and one without.

Your theory doesn't apply in practice, try it yourself.

If you fill the bag with support and lift it up with the loader, the bag goes to nearly 3/4 full, it doesn't look good dropping off a 3/4 full bag to the customer

Edited by Dean Lofthouse

I'm sorry, but I have carried out an experiment, filling a bag with support and one without.

If you fill the bag with support and lift it up with the loader, the bag goes to nearly 3/4 full, it doesn't look good dropping off a 3/4 full bag to the customer

thats right you turn up at a new costomers with a half empty bag never mind it has what you stated in it, they always question it straight away. i always give mine a shake with the teleporter.

I think you will find that its due to not filling properly it in the first place when using a frame & nothing to do with volume theory (which is not a theory). All the logs can move as soon as you lift it up. A badly filled bag is a badly filled bag no matter what its shape is or how its filled.

We now do the shake & fill. The bag is hanging held at full open so it just touches the ground. During the fill we will give it a shake (raise & lower / hit ground) about 3 times & as its getting to the full level its being tapped on the ground. The only way to fill them better would be to hand stack them one log at a time.

We used to have a fixed frame that just held the bag open. When we moved the bags they needed about another 1/4 adding to them.

Now between filling & delivery day they prob get moved twice. We get no settling at all & they keep the square shape.

Fill using the forks of the loader/teleporter to hold the bag with the bottom just touching the ground, when it get so full that logs are rolling off the sides at the top then if you lift it and level the heap it should be about level. You might want to add another dozen logs for effect.

A

Does your " theory " take into account material stretch.

Its not going to stretch by 33% (0.6 to 0.8m3).

In fact the 1m3 vented bags we use have almost no stretch in them at all.

If they could hold 0.8m3 then the manufactures would sell them as 0.8m3 bags.

Edited by Justme

Its not going to stretch by 33% (0.6 to 0.8m3).

In fact the 1m3 vented bags we use have almost no stretch in them at all.

If they could hold 0.8m3 then the manufactures would sell them as 0.8m3 bags.

I'm not getting into a tit for tat... and quoting exact figures, it's more than 0.6 cu/m

Load a bag and try it....I have

Edited by Dean Lofthouse