right tool for the job

Rupe

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ermm, not backwards I don't think. from the back the ground slopes down to a small stream and no access to the other side of the stream.

MAybe to the side, 90 degree to the lean, like towards the camera in the first shot, towards the driveway.

I have little experience with such things so I wouldn't have done it that way. They did ask a forester bloke with all the winches etc to look at it and he said maybe but wasn't keen. So I was asked to do it the way I know.

But in theory yes,

I'm sure someone could have done it with a winch but I wouldn't as its not my area of expertise. Also the company can only use someone with suitable HSE approved paperwork. Mine does not include the use of tractor mounted winches so I would never be able to offer them that method.

I would have definately used a mewp. Pine branches are damn heavy, imagine being anchored in at the top of that leaning tree and branch walking out to the tips of each branch to make a hand held cut. Personally I just wouldn't feel comfortable.

I was just asking if there was room and a big winch was an option that could be considered.

There wasn't room and winch had been considered.

Maybe not the best way in this situation , but a way of doing it nonetheless.

I would definately not pull it side on to the lean, only straight back over on itself, and providing the tree was sound.

I don't know what gear or other contractors with equipment Rupe has access to in his part of the world.

Where I used to work we had a 4wd super major with a cookes winch that would pull a house down, and I've felled numerous trees like that one with it, either as faller or winch man.

I don't have access to such a rig nowadays, used to use a bloke with a major with a boughton on but he's not got that now.

If it were my job, with my current set up, I'd have done it with the mewp just the same.:001_cool:

I've used (or been part of a crew, using) many types of winch, but don't have access to much these days. If a job definatly suited a winch then I would let that job go to someone who did that kind of thing. If I got a pint or a favour in return then all good, but I stick to what I know.

Good point barney! I had to tip in some ends to avoid the septic tank thingy. Lopping off whole branches in one would have been fine while climbing but tryign to avoid the tank would have been harder, although a vertical speed line would have done it.

Anyway, there it is. Next job...........

Am with Skyhuck on his first point, plus in the instance of the picture on this thread- If the root plate failed, the mewp looks very close to the base and the fate of tree, climber and expensive kit is the same!

We have tried using mewp's on really poor trees but due to access the whole thing has been a failure due to time waisted on soft terrain, setting up with countless boards on soft ground and the machine not quite getting you into positions to make safe cuts.

It seems to me they are a great bit of kit but only in a very few situations.

Back to said tree. Sneak up on it on a calm day and remove small sections quickly until the tree is half its weight.

Am not there though so respect to climber for getting the job done!:001_smile: