right tool for the job

Rupe

Don't say that Ed, the more that wont climb it the better, if every one else is going to add the cost of a MEWP to jobs like this, I can add the price of a MEWP, not use one and be quids in!!:sneaky2:

You wouldn't do that to your best client would you?

You would have to quote for the job and add the mewp then not use it?

I don't quote for jobs here, they know what I charge if I suddenly added the price for mewp they'd know I was up to something.

They insisted on MEWP use, safety first and all that and they paid for the Genie which went back unused, paid for my time trying to use the genie, paid for the second platform and my time the second time round, then took me off round the estate to look at more work and paid for my time then aswell.

I look after customers like that.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You wouldn't do that to your best client would you?

You would have to quote for the job and add the mewp then not use it?

I don't quote for jobs here, they know what I charge if I suddenly added the price for mewp they'd know I was up to something.

They insisted on MEWP use, safety first and all that and they paid for the Genie which went back unused, paid for my time trying to use the genie, paid for the second platform and my time the second time round, then took me off round the estate to look at more work and paid for my time then aswell.

I look after customers like that.

My best clients would not have got me a MEWP, they know I hate them!!

I was talking generally, the point I was trying to make is that I don't criticize others for using different more expensive methods, any thing that drives up my competitors costs as got to be a good thing, as it leaves more room for me to make profit!!

As I have said many times before I do not calculate my prices by working out my costs and adding a wage, I try to work out the "price" a job has, as I feel all jobs have their price, and the do the job in the most cost effective manor, creating as bigger gap between my costs and the price as I can, it works for me. But others must do what works for them!

An example of this is a job I did a while back it was a parcel of work which the client had got a quote of £20,000 for, one reason for the high price was one of the trees was a beech that had failed at the root plate and was resting on other trees, they had been quoted £5,000 for that tree alone :scared1: as they were going to get in a very large crane in.

I put a block up the tree behind, ran a rope through it to the fallen tree, got a little tension with the winch then climbed and dismantled the tree, including setting up the ropes the whole job took 4 hours.

My best clients would not have got me a MEWP, they know I hate them!!An example of this is a job I did a while back it was a parcel of work which the client had got a quote of £20,000 for, one reason for the high price was one of the trees was a beech that had failed at the root plate and was resting on other trees, they had been quoted £5,000 for that tree alone :scared1: as they were going to get in a very large crane in.

I put a block up the tree behind, ran a rope through it to the fallen tree, got a little tension with the winch then climbed and dismantled the tree, including setting up the ropes the whole job took 4 hours.

I for one, along with all if not the majority of us long term "Talkers" here, do not doubt for one minute, your obvious skill depth and creativity for dealing with pretty much any Tree related conumdrum you may come across.

We've obviously duelled a tad over Mewp usage over the last year or so a good number of times, my concern toward you and your safety, is that "one day" you may just confront that unknown quantity, that big old hunk of trunk thats precariously leaning and unknowingly rotting away underground like a goodun, and for what ever reason the fell or a crane is not available for this particular task.

Whether you do written or just mental risk assessment, surely your judgement on using a Mewp as a possible safe solution is critically compromissed by your ongoing dismissal of this " in your mind = unsuitable tool"

The point being, that however seldome a Mewp gets brought into a situation, the descision to address whether anyone uses or does not use mustn't just be about your profit margins.

You undoubtedly will retort with the oftused statement along the lines of "never come across a tree I could'nt climb" which to be honest is not particularly helpful to the greener members of our comunity who possibly put you up on the pedstal where you rightly attend, and may come across the aforementioned Tree and possibly make that wrong decision based upon their experience on here.

Your opinion, is rightly the balance to an ongoing debate, but this is a public, but more importantly learning forum where acceptance of other ways is the beauty of the experience.

What say you, Amigo

Skyhuck wrote

"As I have said many times before I do not calculate my prices by working out my costs and adding a wage, I try to work out the "price" a job has, as I feel all jobs have their price, and the do the job in the most cost effective manor, creating as bigger gap between my costs and the price as I can, it works for me. But others must do what works for them!"

I absolutly agree with you there!! We are on the same page, this was just an instance where the client got me a mewp, the wrong one, I got another and posted some pictures.

My main aim in life is to undercut those who use unecessary equipment or just put in high prices due to a non-existant "high risk". Especially those who quote to use a crane. If I can do the job without a crane and pocket half of what a crane might have cost on top of the price for the job then thats all good. I won't pretend I need a crane/mewp and then not use it as I often have to put forward a method statement along with a price.

Surely if you climbed it and you had more than your body wieght off it the tree wouldnt be goin anywhere.

Id have climbed it.

Technically speaking that's true Tree Monkey and I've done that many times myself, but then you have to consider wind loading and shock loading if you are rigging down, which can muliply the weight being lowered by a large factor.

I for one, along with all if not the majority of us long term "Talkers" here, do not doubt for one minute, your obvious skill depth and creativity for dealing with pretty much any Tree related conumdrum you may come across.

We've obviously duelled a tad over Mewp usage over the last year or so a good number of times, my concern toward you and your safety, is that "one day" you may just confront that unknown quantity, that big old hunk of trunk thats precariously leaning and unknowingly rotting away underground like a goodun, and for what ever reason the fell or a crane is not available for this particular task.

Whether you do written or just mental risk assessment, surely your judgement on using a Mewp as a possible safe solution is critically compromissed by your ongoing dismissal of this " in your mind = unsuitable tool"

The point being, that however seldome a Mewp gets brought into a situation, the descision to address whether anyone uses or does not use mustn't just be about your profit margins.

You undoubtedly will retort with the oftused statement along the lines of "never come across a tree I could'nt climb" which to be honest is not particularly helpful to the greener members of our comunity who possibly put you up on the pedstal where you rightly attend, and may come across the aforementioned Tree and possibly make that wrong decision based upon their experience on here.

Your opinion, is rightly the balance to an ongoing debate, but this is a public, but more importantly learning forum where acceptance of other ways is the beauty of the experience.

What say you, Amigo

You have a good point there David!!

I feel MEWPs have there place and as I said in my previous post there use is a help to me as it helps to drive up the cost of much our work, which is great as I have 4 growing children and a wife with a liking for Ebay:scared1:

Their is a balance to be struck here, I think a great many people underestimate the strength of trees even in a decaying state, I have no "death wish" but have found from many years experience that I am happy to climb trees that are in pretty poor condition, but one day I may well face the tree where I say "HELL NO!!!" and find myself ringing Dean for his day rate for man and MEWP!!

I would not and do not criticize others for using MEWPs and I think we should all only do what we are happy doing, It takes a bigger man to say no, and it should be respected!

Skyhuck wrote

"As I have said many times before I do not calculate my prices by working out my costs and adding a wage, I try to work out the "price" a job has, as I feel all jobs have their price, and the do the job in the most cost effective manor, creating as bigger gap between my costs and the price as I can, it works for me. But others must do what works for them!"

I absolutly agree with you there!! We are on the same page, this was just an instance where the client got me a mewp, the wrong one, I got another and posted some pictures.

My main aim in life is to undercut those who use unecessary equipment or just put in high prices due to a non-existant "high risk". Especially those who quote to use a crane. If I can do the job without a crane and pocket half of what a crane might have cost on top of the price for the job then thats all good. I won't pretend I need a crane/mewp and then not use it as I often have to put forward a method statement along with a price.

Totally agree!!!:001_cool:

I was not meaning to pretend to use the MEWP, just to be aware when quoting that if others are using them, there is scope for a little more profit.

You have a good point there David!!

I feel MEWPs have there place and as I said in my previous post there use is a help to me as it helps to drive up the cost of much our work, which is great as I have 4 growing children and a wife with a liking for Ebay:scared1:

Their is a balance to be struck here, I think a great many people underestimate the strength of trees even in a decaying state, I have no "death wish" but have found from many years experience that I am happy to climb trees that are in pretty poor condition, but one day I may well face the tree where I say "HELL NO!!!" and find myself ringing Dean for his day rate for man and MEWP!!

I would not and do not criticize others for using MEWPs and I think we should all only do what we are happy doing, It takes a bigger man to say no, and it should be respected!

I doth my hat to thee Sir, and take your fine post to be the definitive to end the search for the cure to this tiny itch that has pervaded on my person for too long.

Appologies for digressing from your worthy thread, Monsieur Rupe

:ciao: