• Yes while on the ground.
    • Yes while in a tree/mewp.
    • Yes with a top handle saw.
    • Yes with a rear handle saw.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i clipped my trousers whilst snedding a laurel and the saw kicked back and cut my trousers as the chain brake came on so it wasnt a full thickness penetration of the trouser but left me needing new trousers , having to clean all the crap out of the sprocket and a dirty great big bruise on my thigh, any higher and the saw not stopping it would certainly have been very uncomfortable:ohmy:. but i have never cut my flesh with a chainsaw but have with a silky on numerous occasions. Also nicked my self with a billhook whilst processing coppiced hazel.

2 minor cuts, about 15 years ago (when I started). first using an 020 one handed on the ground, logging up a log and holding it with the other hand (:thumbdown:). The other (much more painfull), opened up the back of the landrover and a saw rolled out onto my hand - no guide bar cover :blushing:. I feel better for getting that off my chest!

Well it looks like we have got about as many votes as we are going to get, so thanks to all that voted :thumbup1:

Looks like your twice as likely to have a chainsaw accident while in a tree/mewp than on the deck and four times as likely to be using a top handle saw when the chain bites.

I realise that the stats dont really reflect alot about the percentage of operators who do or dont have chainsaw accidents but the info I was interested in was which type of saw and what circumstances caused the most accidents.

Looks like your twice as likely to have a chainsaw accident while in a tree/mewp than on the deck and four times as likely to be using a top handle saw when the chain bites.

Since many of the contributors are climbers and use top handled saws on a daily basis that’s not an altogether surprising outcome.

Andy

It also proves that statistics can prove anything you wish them to, according to this poll, top-handled saws should be banned..... groundies are safer than climbers.... etc

H&S could use this poll to prove, by our own admission, that top handles should be banned, and obviously climbers need more training.

Take care, my aerial buddies

Since many of the contributors are climbers and use top handled saws on a daily basis that’s not an altogether surprising outcome.

Andy

Yep I know it is an arborists forum I asked the quest ion on not a forestry one.

It also proves that statistics can prove anything you wish them to, according to this poll, top-handled saws should be banned..... groundies are safer than climbers.... etc

H&S could use this poll to prove, by our own admission, that top handles should be banned, and obviously climbers need more training.

Take care, my aerial buddies

#

The HSE want top handle saws banned anyway I doubt this poll would be a contributing factor!

Looks like next time I try a poll then I'll have to get a team of professional statistical analysists in to try and keep everyone happy :bored: No doubt the poll would comprise of at least 100 questions worded very carefully which would probably mean that on one would be at all interested.

Anyhow It was useful to me and a few others it would seem.

Yep I know it is an arborists forum I asked the quest ion on not a forestry one.

#

The HSE want top handle saws banned anyway I doubt this poll would be a contributing factor!

Looks like next time I try a poll then I'll have to get a team of professional statistical analysists in to try and keep everyone happy :bored: No doubt the poll would comprise of at least 100 questions worded very carefully which would probably mean that on one would be at all interested.

Anyhow It was useful to me and a few others it would seem.

Don’t be disheartened, I didn’t mean any criticism, only to qualify the results.

Andy.