What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Ok will check it, it got used again today and managed to almost run for about half hour, then it just quit.

Got a roller drive that is leaking fuel through the carb, this was sorted so we thought with another carb but it's doing it again so I'm going to check the fuel lines etc. it does run like stink when it's leaking fuel.

Will look into the Honda tomorrow, got loads of spares off other engines so can replace with parts that I know work.

Ok got the Honda sorted.

Changed the coil and plug, but it started to play up on fuel, so carb got a damn good clean out, but it carried on doing it, it was like it was running out of fuel in the bowl, would die then if left for a minute it would fire then die again.

So I put a comp tester on it and it was at about 105 psi, not high but should run, decided to put the old plug back in, not on purpose, I picked it by accident and screwed it back in, didn't relise until I looked down and saw th need one on floor, thought oh well carry on and try it.

Blow me if it didn't work, ran in hard for about half hour, then stopped it and started it again no problem. Used it all afternoon without a problem. So I'm not sure if the coil was at fault as it gave a good spark when it died. But changing coil gave me a fuel problem......

The roller drive was swapped around with another engine and drive from another mower as the deck was knackerd so thats now in the parts bin. Must have about 6 complete Honda engines in the parts bin by now.

But it is all sorted and running perfectly. Thanks for the heads up on the coil.

Oh and the quad fired into life today. Sound like a tank. Realised I hadn't bolted the exhaust up properly.

The starter is knackerd so I spent nearly two hours kicking it over, my foot hurts.

Took a long time to get going. But it runs like a dream, there is one problem and it throws black smoke out the back but doesn't smell like oil. It was doing it before it came to me for rebuild and is still doing it. I'm hoping it's the oil from rebuild will see if it clears up in a short time after running in.

Busy day, been waiting for a piston for the 064 I have had in for poor starting and porting.

The Meteor piston I have got in lends itself to widening the ports much more than the original piston that had some fancy scallops on the skirt sides - probably to reduce friction! You can see from the first limage what I mean!

Porting is a bit of a mine field, get it wrong and a ring end can snag or you can make a real mess of a decent saw - it isn't just about making holes bigger!

So, this cylinder has had the exhaust port opened to around 68% of bore, the inlet I was a bit more conservitive on, the lower transfers were widened and lowered considerably, the exhaust was opened up and then closed again as it was pretty damn ear bleedingly loud:lol:

The base gasket was dropped and the squish checked - compression was 160psi without running:thumbup:

Pressure & Vacuum tested as part of the rebuild, carb cleaned and reset, just need to tach and then test - the saw on standard carb settings is really producing a thumping fourstroke so reckon I should be able to lean it up to get the revs up nicely:thumbup:

P1040444.JPG.a1a0a7bccfccabb18a3a44dbd1229dc4.JPG

P1040443.JPG.7be82cb452d02aaf216c3949d1666b21.JPG

P1040442.JPG.9b740ddcaf95e192a13bda05c434dab4.JPG

P1040441.JPG.e15822691bce01e5e134c954abfeff58.JPG

P1040440.JPG.028e64273ad3fa3e00a06d36f6142023.JPG

P1040439.JPG.9fd19870c64b1c169cb2d0b5ea1a1cef.JPG

P1040438.JPG.b78c23afcc22459781f4d32233476c37.JPG

P1040437.JPG.9ac17e3308e0f619a45fb0f2af1900ee.JPG

P1040436.JPG.0e028dc70278a338372ee928f498847d.JPG

Stihl BG 85 blower that a mate gave me as he didn't have the time to fix it up. Starter pulley was jammed and broken so got that sorted for time being but need to get a new rope rotor for it. Throttle cable was out of place and the whole carb was so gummed up with crud that the return spring couldn't bring back the trigger, all sorted with plenty of WD40 and a stiff toothbrush but will be getting a good blow out when I get near an airline. That got it running but then it had to be choked off as the on/off switch was u/s so I fitted a spare that I had kicking around. Now runs sweet as but will be getting a new air filter when I get the rope rotor.

While I'm on, can anybody tell me the screw settings for a Ryobi PCN 4040 as my girlfriend's dad has picked one up from his brother and wants to get it running? :001_smile:

Can anybody tell me what is the factory setting for a single needle carb on a TS400 cut off saw.

cheers.

According to "10.3 Carburetor adjustment" in the service manual:

H = High-speed adjusting screw (1)

1 turn open

L = Low-speed adjusting screw (2)

1 turn open

Service manual can be downloaded here: http://cornbinder.com/stihl/PDF/ra/ra_e_0002_30.pdf