What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Hope ya didn't wrench too much on that upper AV mount. Looks like he got his saw stuck.

Here's some numbers I have from Parris and Brad in duration and degrees:

Ex- 170° duration, 95° ATDC

Int- 150 duration, 74° FTDC

Tran- 122° duration, 119° ATDC

My 390 was very similiar to yours.:

Ex-96

Tran-122

Int-76

Thanks Wes - I put the degree wheel on it and saw the exact same figures, I ended up squaring and widening the inlet, widening the exhaust port significantly, widening the rear uppers and raisig all the uppers to reduce blowdown. I found squish to be 0.25mm - too little IMO, especially on an older saw so made up a custom gasket and left it at 0.55mm....sorry metric here:blushing::lol:

Are you sure it was push on? They are usually a self-tapping type screw in there so it should be twisted on.

Thats about right - some are potted in but most screw in - if the case has some sort of thread then fit a larger diameter HT lead otherwise use a little epoxy or glue like you have done!

Thanks Wes - I put the degree wheel on it and saw the exact same figures, I ended up squaring and widening the inlet, widening the exhaust port significantly, widening the rear uppers and raisig all the uppers to reduce blowdown. I found squish to be 0.25mm - too little IMO, especially on an older saw so made up a custom gasket and left it at 0.55mm....sorry metric here:blushing::lol:

That's the tightest squish I've seen so far for standard. That thing must have been running fairly well stock. If I recall, my 385xp was pulling 178psi with the gasket delete before break-in. It wore an 8 pin rim with a 32" bar in douglas fir.

133818921.5n7uVAZJ.jpg

390XP nearly finished, ported, new starter, new chain brake handle bush - they always go missing and a new rim drve, just waiting for the top AV spring.

MS880, new decomp - very lucky it didn't drop as it was in a bad state - carb clean and rebuild as it wasn't starting well.

MS660 in for porting - very nice condition and a brace of buggered 026s.

Got an MS200 back after rebuild - owner said the idle wasn't good and lack of power - the chain depth gauges were as new but the cutters were half down so wouldn't cut for toffee - sorted that out and ran through some rock hard seasoned Wych Elm and it is perfect - bit baffling - top end was bang on 14Krpm......will run it through further wood this weekend before returning it.

Got a small stump grinder dropped off today.

It wouldn't start. So after removing the plug and the off/on switch. It still wouldn't spark. So removed the cables for the oil sensor and away it went. As soon as I re attach the sensor wire it won't spark.

So going to change the oil, it was on the over filled side a little.

So question. How do to by pass the sensor?

I know this is not strictly "on your bench" related but what brand of tools do you guys use? I need a set of pliers and spanners and was wandering what the decent makes are nowadays? Or what you use at the moment and think it is good quality/value for money?

I know this is not strictly "on your bench" related but what brand of tools do you guys use? I need a set of pliers and spanners and was wandering what the decent makes are nowadays? Or what you use at the moment and think it is good quality/value for money?

Now that's a very big question.

Depends on the jobs. I use a lot of whitworth spanners. Also use Britool.

But for modern ones I'm not sure. I have got the brief case type one from halfords, the advanced range. They are nice and easy to keep away.

An eclactic mix of cheap shrap that does the job, old school Draper, Hilka, britool and a few others - saw work is light weight work so isn't too heavy on the tools