What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Hey Spud not sure if this will work but I will try....

The spring and ball are contained in the big brass screw...

At whatever pressure the ball lifts allowing fuel up the centre of the screw and thru the hole in the side which in turn allows it to run thru the hole in the side of the threads (that the brass screw screws into) which floods out the h side of the carb.

Im sh*t at explaining but I know what I mean lol

In the end of the brass screw you can just about make out the ball internally

til1_zps9fa341ed.jpg

Theres a recess cut around the screw at the level of the hole in the side of the brass screw.

til2_zps77f63927.jpg

Theres a port in the base and in the side. If you cut a disc from a coke can and place under the copper washer it stops any fuel rising up hence stop the ball/spring/in effect valve opening. Therefore stopping any excess fuel entering the h side of the carb to flood it out.

til3_zps19d06833.jpg

Pictures prob ellow you to see what im getting at better.

Edited by wisecobandit

Hey Spud not sure if this will work but I will try....

The spring and ball are contained in the big brass screw...

At whatever pressure the ball lifts allowing fuel up the centre of the screw and thru the hole in the side which in turn allows it to run thru the hole in the side of the threads (that the brass screw screws into) which floods out the h side of the carb.

Im sh*t at explaining but I know what I mean lol

In the end of the brass screw you can just about make out the ball internally

til1_zps9fa341ed.jpg

Theres a recess cut around the screw at the level of the hole in the side of the brass screw.

til2_zps77f63927.jpg

Theres a port in the base and in the side. If you cut a disc from a coke can and place under the copper washer it stops any fuel rising up hence stop the ball/spring/in effect valve opening. Therefore stopping any excess fuel entering the h side of the carb to flood it out.

til3_zps19d06833.jpg

Pictures prob ellow you to see what im getting at better.

That follows pretty much what I know will work, all interesting stuff though so thanks.

Not sure of the model Eddy, any particular reason?. It's gone now. Wise and Spud - another insight into something that I didn't know that I didn't know. Cheers.

ps: upe youres sire spud

Just wondered, worked on one not so long ago, noticed the carb has no adjusters, but they can be adjusted if you remove the brass caps

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Firstly a big thanks for MattyF for his time and large lump of Ash:thumbup:

First up we have Mattys 395XP, ported some time ago, found to be a bit boggy so I drilled out the baffle plate I left in place as he didn't want it too loud:001_rolleyes::lol: it also had a tweak to the ignition advance!

As standard it pulls 7.1 HP and did a time of 20.24 secs

Second up is Stubbys 390XP, ported last weekend and wearing a loud bad boy exhaust - as standard, 6.5 HP and pulled a time of 22.88 secs

Sorry Stubby - Matty did say he may be able to get more out of it with a few nore runs - both saws pulled cleanly and sounded good in the cut!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxRC5Co0-9Y]Husqvarna 395XP Ported Muffler and ignition mod Matty - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyXwscBgPmY]Husqvarna 390XP Ported Muffler Mod Stubby - YouTube[/ame]

Stubbys 390 nearly made me deaf ! I might have to get one of those mufflers , how would you define the level of porting mate? You did a great job on both btw more than happy with it can not wait to bring it out to work again... Watching the vids would of been a fairer run with timber just shorter than bar length.

Edited by MattyF

The husky I had is now done and returned. Was a nice saw.

Did look and it didn't have heated handles. So maybe a different pull start assembly.

Might have a smaller husky coming my way. One the bloke wants to sell on. Maybe one for spud to port if I get it. Don't know the number. Will find out this week when I go to look at it.

Stubbys 390 nearly made me deaf ! I might have to get one of those mufflers , how would you define the level of porting mate? You did a great job on both btw more than happy with it can not wait to bring it out to work again... Watching the vids would of been a fairer run with timber just shorter than bar length.

Was a tad loud - now you know why using it in my drive wasn't a good idea:lol:

Your saw had less widening on the exhaust and inlet ports due to the constrictions of the piston skirt, similar modification to the upper transfers and your lower transfers were opened up significantly more but that is very much down to the design of the cylinder.

The 395XP has an open windowed piston, the 390XP is closed hence the inlet and exhaust ports being able to be widened more.

Yours had the ignition mod and Andys didn't, on yours I could drop the base gasket, on Andys, I had to fit a custom thickness base gasket to get the squish right.

......you did ask - will explain what it all means over a pint:thumbup::lol: