What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Been working on the MS650 which had beed seized, had a damaged big end bearing, had a new crank and many new parts fitted by the owner and seized again after 10 minutes of running due to the carb being set to the indications on the air box but not taking in to account these are different for when the limit caps are removed.

The piston has had a thick strip of aluminium torn off it and welded on to the cylinder which I have now chemically removed and honed the area with wet and dry. It has a few nicks in the plating but looks OK compared to the carnage that first greeted me. Pistons are few and far between but have manage ot locate and aftermarket one.

P1030830.jpg.96fe76bbdffba13b6e08007b36b045fa.jpg

P1030836.jpg.0bddd9627a9a622aca17c40e24253e79.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

And now I'm back to let you know...I can really shake em down:thumbup:

Been away for a week - looks like you have been missing me - had another go at the Frankensaw - a 268 with a few non standard parts:001_rolleyes: have now got the carb on it and tached it - all good, a second user piston fitted and a new fuel line - just fitted a new rim drive sprocket and sorted out a number of issues including the bar studs having battered threads.

The saw was over revving when picked up and held at an angle - both handle AV mounts had gone and was causing pulling on the throttle linkage - this is sorted now - simply loads of issues but nearly there now as the saw idles and revs out well.

P1030853.jpg.81a4b8c447db49b0bd3bc96178ee1965.jpg

P1030852.jpg.1bbe71192a13e6a9ef1484db8eb8f5e8.jpg

While I was away, I picked up a non running clock, probably Georgian and looks like walnut with inlaid wood - 8 day timer. The face was really bad, cracked and stained but a few passes through the Ultrasonic cleaner and a blast over with laquer realy made a difference.

Have cleaned the movement in the ultrasonic cleaner and adjusted the escapment mechanism and it now ticks fine but having problems with the hands not moving as they should - not far off now though - nice little clock:thumbup:

P1030850.jpg.2570ecdd0a0c9114fe281ded8781482c.jpg

P1030849.jpg.4eb12dd1807744641fcd5acff88d3e4a.jpg

P1030848.jpg.fd04f3da3bffe76cf33cd8b4866146c4.jpg

P1030847.jpg.d624ed6e3ea361d93ca0d3f2ea0f2685.jpg

While I was away, I picked up a non running clock, probably Georgian and looks like walnut with inlaid wood - 8 day timer. The face was really bad, cracked and stained but a few passes through the Ultrasonic cleaner and a blast over with laquer realy made a difference.

Have cleaned the movement in the ultrasonic cleaner and adjusted the escapment mechanism and it now ticks fine but having problems with the hands not moving as they should - not far off now though - nice little clock:thumbup:

where do your talents end? Respect.

Are you planning a mod that'll make it go twice as fast? :lol:

Another butt ugly 3750 60cc open port. Still waiting on oem ring. This is the 3rd one of these I have picked up and they run and cut with the 262xp MS361. Just a hair shy on the torque IMO compared to the 262xp.

The 3750 actually handles better then the 262xp in a unbiased opinion of 2 of us switching saws back and forth one day cutting hardwoods all day.

where do your talents end? Respect.

I haven't fixed it yet, think it is the clutch that lets the hands move on a manual adjustment that is at fault - just a tweak and it should be there!

My talents end at watches - I seriously messed up trying to get an automatic going once:thumbdown::lol:

On with the Stihl MS650, this is a sad case of the saw being rebuilt with many new parts with due care but when it came to carb adjustment, it was set to what the side of the airbox said - unfortunately the settings were for limit caps inserted and on this saw, these had been removed.

The "H" screw was set to 1/2 turn - the engine seized and gouged the piston up.

I have cleaned the bore, sourced an aftermarket piston on consultation with the owner.

The piston has been checked with the vernia, edges cleaned and the ring end clearance checked before reassembly.

P1030854.jpg.79444e4465ac89cd0649c3afadff6b0e.jpg

Got the piston on the MS650 - putting the cylinder back on was a real tight fit, wasn't happy about this as it was tight on turning it over so pulled it down again and found the ring to location pin fit was poor so took a little metal off the rings and all went back together much nicer.

So be warned people - had this twice now on the lower price pistons and leaving it would have caused premature wear and not spotted by the novice!

Compression is 140psi pressure and vac tests 100%

P1030860.jpg.ab00dcb06021f1c8bfe45287235b717b.jpg

P1030857.jpg.3062cb434e601298edecf2d5370e9cba.jpg