What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Got a MS200T in with a "Loose exhaust":001_rolleyes: thought it would be a quick job:001_rolleyes::thumbdown:

One thread was stripped, the other had a broken bolt in it, the hole on the left was tapped and had a new helicoil fitted - lovely job:thumbup:

Tried drilling the broken bolt out and bingo - it has been helicoiled already. Any budding engineer will tell you that helicoils are stainless and therefore are a mare to drill out and almost impossible to re-tap:thumbdown:

The drills kept wandering, even the posh colbalt ones I was using - £35 a set:blushing: and the hole got pretty crappy, wasn't sure I could pull this one off - a helicoil was out of the question so used a fancy M5 insert I had purchased for this sort of eventuallity - it is a 5mm internal hole so standard to the original bolt and the external was M8x1.25 - pretty large but the land around the hole was large enough - I put it in with some fancy Loctite high temp/high strength studlock and looks like nothing will shift it. Once screwed in, you bash in the tabs to lock the insert in place (see last pic for the finished job and a pic of the insert I used) - a nice job albeit a lengthy and difficult repair!

A new fuel tank backplate has been fitted as the original has melted and fortunately the tank shows little heat damage!

DSCF0777.jpg.66c911cd7fa729314da60f959aea10f3.jpg

DSCF0775.jpg.033db2d7b9553a18480a05b11051cecc.jpg

DSCF0774.jpg.5b39e323dd1daf4b605b8ef0275a1a14.jpg

DSCF0773.jpg.5d9f526525680f14304f8005068949b1.jpg

Looking good there spud.

Just a bit intrigued by the scoring that is still present on the left hand side of the port. The right side as almost gone. So the left side must be deep then.

By the way, what sieze was it?

Looking good there spud.

Just a bit intrigued by the scoring that is still present on the left hand side of the port. The right side as almost gone. So the left side must be deep then.

By the way, what sieze was it?

Haven't checked for why it has seized but will obviously will pressure/vac test it and do a tach tune plus check the tank vents etc to make sure it doesn't happen again - will set it a bit fat to let the saw bed in:thumbup:

The pot has a couple of scores, none are particularly deep and although they show on the pic, are nothing to worry about. Recently did an MS260 that I thought was borderline and it pulled 190psi - sort of changes your views on this sort of repair!

The marks can't be felt and are out of the compression zone above the exhaust port so reckon it will make good compression and power - the look of the thing can be a bit unimportant and the engine doesn't SEE the marks but as long as a good seal is made, all will be good.

The options are doing what I am doing (Meteor in the cleaned OEM cylinder), a damn expensive OEM cylinder/piston kit or a Chinese P&C kit...reckon this will give good life and decent power - local guy so will be able to keep and eye on it:thumbup:

It will be there, and there for a long while until you get the spare time to go and collect the parts. :001_rolleyes:

Well, the customer pays for the spares, nothing I can do about that and if they take longer to come in there is nothing I can do about that either:thumbdown:

To put it in to context, the saws I am working on now came in late last week and now spares are on order and should get them finished late this week or over next weekend - I run a one to two week turn around, the stupid Stihl Policy may impact on this although my supplier says nothing will change:confused1:

Well, the customer pays for the spares, nothing I can do about that and if they take longer to come in there is nothing I can do about that either:thumbdown:

To put it in to context, the saws I am working on now came in late last week and now spares are on order and should get them finished late this week or over next weekend - I run a one to two week turn around, the stupid Stihl Policy may impact on this although my supplier says nothing will change:confused1:

That's what I don't get, mate. Why have the big boys been warned but not the smaller players? :confused1:

That's what I don't get, mate. Why have the big boys been warned but not the smaller players? :confused1:

Well that's what I don't like. But then I guess we are suppose to find out when its too late.

Same as spud I try and get the turn around as quick as possible, this however means that saws will get delayed longer. As I will have to put aside a day of parts collection. This of course is going on the fact that they have the parts in and is ill have to call ahead to try and make sure of this.

Anyway enough threads about all this stihl stuff already. :lol::lol:

Well that's what I don't like. But then I guess we are suppose to find out when its too late.

Same as spud I try and get the turn around as quick as possible, this however means that saws will get delayed longer. As I will have to put aside a day of parts collection. This of course is going on the fact that they have the parts in and is ill have to call ahead to try and make sure of this.

Anyway enough threads about all this stihl stuff already. :lol::lol:

Indeed, We can have a good old-fashioned drunken bitch about it at Jonesie's. :001_cool: