What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Further to my post a couple of weeks ago regarding your pressure/vacuum testing equipment I recently bought a kit similar to the ones suggested. A cheaper version by Neilsen. This is it HAND HELD VACUUM / PRESSURE TEST PUMP & BRAKE / DIESEL BLEEDER KIT | eBay.

Anyway it, came in the post yesterday and I hooked it up to the MS200 I recently bought. I made a blanking plate for the exhaust and bunged the inlet manifold. I started to apply pressure but couldnt get the gauge past .5 bar and as soon as I stopped pumping it dropped instantly. A few more pumps and some soapy water an the leak was revealed where the impulse hose plugs onto the crankcase nipple.

I fitted a new hose and pressurized the engine up to 1.5 bar. I left it for 20 mins and it on my return it was still over 1.3. Better still I forgot to take the gauage off and when it noticed it on the bench today it still has .5 bar in it. Hopefully thats that sorted. Just waiting on some av mounts.

Just for info guys, with regards to the vac/pressure testing above.

Stihl stipulate creating vac and pressure only to 0.5 bar. This is adequate to detect leaks detrimental to operation, and not so great as to cause artificial leaks by 'blowing seals' ( no jibe at eskimo's nocturnal habits intended:001_smile:)

If pressure is maintained for 20 seconds then all is well.

Vac should drop from 0.5 to no less than 0.3 in less than 20 secs.

Small leaks are naturally overcome by the engine speed.

Had a busy day yesterday on the saws etc New 36" Oregon bar and chain turned up for my big stihl, had chance to play with my 10mm 044 after a total rebuild (god I love that saw....) and almost through a 357xp in a river after it wound me up.

After a topend overhaul new piston/intake manifold with mod /twin port exhaust trying to get it to run right seemed almost unacheiveable for some reason, NEW archer chain-what a piece of crap just tried scorching its way through wood even with the oil pump turned up so took the Oregon chain off my 357, much better but tuning needed constant adjustment settled a bit in the end but by all accounts these carbs have there wear issues so may end up putting a new carb on it if it carries on.

Just got a Jonsered 2036 turbo with a badly scored piston, bore doesn't look too bad but might replace anyway. I keep seeing in searches on the internet that it uses a lot of parts from a Husqvarna 136! Anyone know if thats right? Have seen a cheapish barrel and piston kit for the 136 and if it'll fit the jonsered I might just go for it. Thanks.

Had a busy day yesterday on the saws etc New 36" Oregon bar and chain turned up for my big stihl, had chance to play with my 10mm 044 after a total rebuild (god I love that saw....) and almost through a 357xp in a river after it wound me up.

After a topend overhaul new piston/intake manifold with mod /twin port exhaust trying to get it to run right seemed almost unacheiveable for some reason, NEW archer chain-what a piece of crap just tried scorching its way through wood even with the oil pump turned up so took the Oregon chain off my 357, much better but tuning needed constant adjustment settled a bit in the end but by all accounts these carbs have there wear issues so may end up putting a new carb on it if it carries on.

Usual issues on the 357XP are the decomps on EPA models where there is, unusually, NO decomp button and also the carb inlet manifold and its clip, did yours have the metal clip?

This was a modification and generally done badly by many mechs, it can cause air leaks - worth checking as is the throttle linkage isn't fouling on the rubber grommet it passes through between the top cover and rear handle.

Other than that, it should settle down pretty quick on 1 turn on each.

A busy day.

An old Flymo two stroke to look at. Was left for years with fuel in. Cleaned and tuned.

Ms200t. Retuned.

028 chain creap. Cleaned out and all fine.

Hedgecutter sharpened .

Now the pain one. A 048av. Wasn't oiling. Removed pipe and filter. Cleaned out. Cleaned pump and all channels with it. Have a small amount of oil but not a lot. So thinking tank vent, can anyone tell where to find it??

Got a bit lost.

Usual issues on the 357XP are the decomps on EPA models where there is, unusually, NO decomp button and also the carb inlet manifold and its clip, did yours have the metal clip?

This was a modification and generally done badly by many mechs, it can cause air leaks - worth checking as is the throttle linkage isn't fouling on the rubber grommet it passes through between the top cover and rear handle.

Other than that, it should settle down pretty quick on 1 turn on each.

Yeah I cut off that stupid plastic clip and fitted a jubilee/worm drive metal clip when I done the rebuild when I fitted a new Viton inlet manifold.Im fairly sure its not sucking any air in etc. Its got the sensible (as sensible as they can be) decomp valve not the silly one as its a 2003 saw.

Will check the throttle linkage -cheers for the heads up as didn't know about that.

It did seem to settle in the end but only done another 20mins cutting after and not had chance to use it since so have to wait and see.

Did seem very tempermental with the carb settings tho, more than 1/8 turn 1 way or the other made the difference whether it would actually cut or hardly run. The saw has had a hardish life so not sure how well the carb has held out or worn itself out tho it still had the oe piston etc and bore was fine but rings where thin.

A busy day.

An old Flymo two stroke to look at. Was left for years with fuel in. Cleaned and tuned.

Ms200t. Retuned.

028 chain creap. Cleaned out and all fine.

Hedgecutter sharpened .

Now the pain one. A 048av. Wasn't oiling. Removed pipe and filter. Cleaned out. Cleaned pump and all channels with it. Have a small amount of oil but not a lot. So thinking tank vent, can anyone tell where to find it??

Got a bit lost.

It uses the same oil pump as the 038/ms380 but don't know if its the same breather set up aswell if you look at the ipl for that?