What's on your bench today?

spudulike

I've had this case once in my life with a saw.

Could you do me a favour if you can. If you have any soldering wire, about 1.5mm dia turn the piston back down and then place the wire in the plug hole so its inside and pull the piston up, when it makes contact with the piston and the top turn it some more either with a spanner not he flywheel or any other way, try not to use the pull cord as you may damage the recoil.

Remove the solder when the piston moves back down and measure the squashed part of the solder with callipers.

Let me know the diameter.

:blushing: Hi I tried pulling it over again without the plug in first time slow ok, second time slow ok, third fast and it locked up but wouldn't move. Opened her up Basically a bit of blue baling twine around the recoil starter that flicked up when pulled fast. cleaned out, Plug in and started like dream, runs a bit lumpy though but tics over:biggrin:

Cheers everyone

I think that is quite a good description broonie harsh but if you knew him fair, he's been messing with this saw for about two years trying to get it going, can't wait to give him the piece of twine, god knows how it got in there

Cheers Spud and Barrie - much appreciated again - have given it back and told him to track the mounts down if he wants to repair it -. Could see half a day dissappearing chasing these bits - brings up the whole uneconomical to repair issue - pity because it was a lovely strimmer. I will pass on the superglue message too.

cheers both

JB weld won't hold rubber to steel, cyanoacrylate (Superglue) may but it doesn't always last!

Just checked that part number Mike, sadly it is listed as 'obsolete'

Think it's either the 2nd or 3rd hole on the carb, failing that, I have a dead 009 if you need some bits

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

tried the next hole up but throttle wire was catching the body of the carb - back to original position and decided to bend the wire with pliers to re-introduce a bit of lost tension probably lost over 20 years of use and carb throttle is now balanced right for starting using the throttle lock.

great to share a problem, amazing how when you've hit the send button on here it gets the mental faculties in overdrive - cheers eddy

There is much behind a Chainsaw engine is there? Must be reasonably easy to rectify a problem. I know I undertook a Stihl 024 for the misses dad the weekend. Just renewed the carb kit etc. Followed a YouTube video. :thumbup1:

It is good fun messing around. (with engines that is)

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Sorry. Urm, not sur show to take that. Replacing a carb kit is one thing. Trying to find a fault that is showing many symptoms of the same problems is something else.

An extremely good example of how a saw can stump even the best of us is a few pages back on this thread.

An ms200t that I had in. Classic symptoms of leaking crank seals, so changed these and no change, even tho they where leaking. So changed the carb out for two known good ones. No change. Took me a long time of testing and re testing to find the fault. And even tho the comp was very good the rings where worn to the pint where it would run but on full throttle it would die out. The rings where worn and letting in too much air from the crank casing stalling out the saw. There where no usual signs on the exhaust side if the piston or cylinder.

Yes there is not a lot behind a saw engine, until you get into fault finding and not just replacing simple parts. :sneaky2:

Sorry if it sounds sarcastic or pedantic but its really not. Just pointing out the fact that a saw engine is simple, until one comes along that stumps you dead.

I didn't explain properly, I sounded like a tit.

I meant its not like a car which tons of things, there are fewer things to go wrong/slightly quicker to fix. If you know how of course.

I only dabble, so to be honest I haven't got a clue, always willing to learn though. Ha!

Might get my hands on a spares and repair and have a dabble, I always find learning hands on is best approach.

I didn't explain properly, I sounded like a tit.

I meant its not like a car which tons of things, there are fewer things to go wrong/slightly quicker to fix. If you know how of course.

I only dabble, so to be honest I haven't got a clue, always willing to learn though. Ha!

Might get my hands on a spares and repair and have a dabble, I always find learning hands on is best approach.

Not gong to argue with the tit remark. :lol::lol::lol::lol::001_tt2:

Yes there is nothing there really. Just knowing what to look for. But I must admit for me a big Diesel engine is a lot more easier to deal with than a saw or hedgecutter. Sometimes I do struggle with them for the fact they are just simple engines. My brain will try and over complicate the saw. I just have to sit back and remind myself its just a saw :lol::lol::lol:

Hands on is always the best approach but do some research before hand as it can save a mistake that could cost you when you try and rebuild the saw. :thumbup: