What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Yes Richard that's the 1, if you get it back you keep it lol

:lol::lol::lol:

If I remember rightly it was in for running problems. I do remember something about a clutch, but may have been a different saw with a clutch issue.

Good luck with it, and if you get really stuck send it my way again. :thumbup1:

Will take a look at it for you.

On another note. Was looking through the bits box today and found a pot and tilson carb for a husky saw. I don't have a clue what it's from. Will get some pics up of it, see if anyone knows, it's in perfect nick. Got given it in a box of stuff. Also have a chain cover aswell, but again no idea what it's off.

Not sure what these blowers are supposed to pull at the top end (BG85) but I am getting fourstroking at 9,200rpm :thumbup:

Should not really be getting fourstroking on a blower Steve. Unlike a saw which fourstrokes under NO load, but draws a little more fuel when loaded and ceases to fourstroke, a blower is always on full load at full throttle.

I have a year 2000 Stihl 220 electric chainsaw and the chain brake has stopped working, the recent kickback thread has convinced me to fix this before using it again (thanks for that). I have pulled off the plastic covers and now it looks like I need to remove a spur drive attached to the motor. This has a slot head screw and it is tight, does anyone know if I need to turn this clockwise or anti-clockwise to unscrew it ? Is there any special tool/technique needed to remove this slot head screw ? I assume that once I remove this screw + spur gear then, the cover will come off and I will be able to see what has broken on the brake. The brake handle feels fine, it snaps into both positions, so I am guessing the brake band has broken. I am hoping to order the failed part ASAP in hope (fingers crossed) that it arrives in time for Xmas. Thanks for any advice on this folks.

Picked up three blowers recently, two runners....well sort of. Decided to strip one to make a runner and whilst apart, gave it a port and muffler mod. The muffler mod was just running a 10mm drill up the outlet pipe, the porting was widening the inlet and outlet ports.

Not sure what these blowers are supposed to pull at the top end (BG85) but I am getting fourstroking at 9,200rpm :thumbup:

7,600rpm is what the manuals say

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

The Stihl specs are a bit vague in that the BG85 service manual states the max eng speed (no load) at 9500 give or take 800. It does not state the normal operating speed. This is because it states the spec for the 4140 powerhead which is used on several types of machine.

The later model BG86 manual states the operating speed (with pipe attached) at 7200rpm (specific to the blower)

All blowers (all makes) that I have tached seem to be around 6500 to 7500 under normal conditions with the nozzle attached.

This assumes that the impellor is not worn, as a worn impellor lightens the load and the revs will increase.

If you want to get an idea for the difference in speed between load and no load, just block the air intake of the impellor for a second (be careful) and the revs will soar.

I got a bg55 blower in at the mo Spud, giving me grief flooding etc, cleaned the carb twice, set the needle height and still it persist. Ordered a full carb diaphragm kit now. The only thing I haven't ventured into yet is pulling out the ally core plug thing in the carb (forgotten the proper name...) its an oval shape rather than the conventional round dome ones and haven't got one in my box of carb spares but will come in the full carb kit.

Apparently Stihl in there wisdom decided to stick them in with an araldite substance that breaks up so im hoping its an issue under there.

Bloody zama carbs once again.....

The Welch plug covers the low speed jets and won't cause flooding, it is more likely to be a leaking needle valve, bad high speed check valve, incorrectly sited needle valve spring, incorrect diaphragm fitted or incorrect metering arm height......just IMO:blushing:

Should not really be getting fourstroking on a blower Steve. Unlike a saw which fourstrokes under NO load, but draws a little more fuel when loaded and ceases to fourstroke, a blower is always on full load at full throttle.

Fully understand, it is flubbing ever so slightly every now and then and will use the plug colour to see if there is much left, may get another 500rpm out of it:thumbup: