What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Good luck with the 201's Steve.

I had one I could not sort, so sent it back to the Stihl main dealer I bought it from.

They fitted new pot and piston, but when it came back it was still useless.

So it went back again. they said "its perfect"

So the customer tried it and then brought it back "its useless" he said.

So its now with Stihl themselves.

I wonder what it will be like when it comes back?

If you can sort the 201 out, you will make history Steve.

Well one has two hours on it, the other a lot more - the older one has barely enough power to pull the chain around and then...POW, it finds its kahunas and revs like mad. Just no power off idle.

I am going to try it in wood when the revs are up and see if it pulls, if it does, I will loosen the exhaust and see if it revs out a little better and drill the thing if it helps.

The carb has some sort of plastic ring stuck up it on the throttle side that must stop the flow of fuel/air quite a bit - I may just see what happens if you run it with it removed - can't believe how bad these are - the 335XPT needs the revs built up a bit but these are terrible!

Will see how the low hours one goes - all a learning curve:001_rolleyes::lol:

Well one has two hours on it, the other a lot more - the older one has barely enough power to pull the chain around and then...POW, it finds its kahunas and revs like mad. Just no power off idle.

I am going to try it in wood when the revs are up and see if it pulls, if it does, I will loosen the exhaust and see if it revs out a little better and drill the thing if it helps.

The carb has some sort of plastic ring stuck up it on the throttle side that must stop the flow of fuel/air quite a bit - I may just see what happens if you run it with it removed - can't believe how bad these are - the 335XPT needs the revs built up a bit but these are terrible!

Will see how the low hours one goes - all a learning curve:001_rolleyes::lol:

I noticed that plastic bit. I assume it divides the carb in half with fuel and air on one side and just air on the other for the stratified charge.

Ive been given an ms 260 that looks like its had not much use, it runs but sounds a bit tappity, when in the cut a slight bit of pressure stops the chain.

I had stripped the clutch side and all looks well, took the exhust off and no scoring but looks a bit cruded up with wet dirty oil, going to take the cylinder off tonight for further inspection, any ideas guys?

Ive been given an ms 260 that looks like its had not much use, it runs but sounds a bit tappity, when in the cut a slight bit of pressure stops the chain.

I had stripped the clutch side and all looks well, took the exhust off and no scoring but looks a bit cruded up with wet dirty oil, going to take the cylinder off tonight for further inspection, any ideas guys?

Piston slap, these saws wear their skirts thin and slap on BTDC, whip the cylinder off, check the plating isn't worn through and fit a new piston making sure you get the right diameter one.

I noticed that plastic bit. I assume it divides the carb in half with fuel and air on one side and just air on the other for the stratified charge.

That's exactly what it is but reckon the low speed jet us getting it's output condensed a bit on the way out and fouling up the idle.

Will see what effect taking it out has:blushing:

Piston slap, these saws wear their skirts thin and slap on BTDC, whip the cylinder off, check the plating isn't worn through and fit a new piston making sure you get the right diameter one.

Thanks Spud,

Youre a gent.

Now just give me a brief technical conclusion of how piston slap enables the loss of power to stop the chain if you would. :001_rolleyes:

What happens inside the saw?

Does the clutch slip from loss of power/friction to the clutch?

one 026 nearly done. just need a brake band.

a wessex tractor topper stripped, cleaned, new bearings and belts and painted up ready for next season.

made a start on the 35x aswell. started stripping it down.

also looking at a ford transit high top. the gearing is very low ratio and is screaming at 55mph. so been told a diff from a mini bus will gear it up a bit so its not. looking into this one as im not overly sure.

and a jcb backhoe to look at, loss of power and fuel. diaghrams in injector pump is the first port of call.

so not much to go on a bench but plenty to take up space.

That's exactly what it is but reckon the low speed jet us getting it's output condensed a bit on the way out and fouling up the idle.

Will see what effect taking it out has:blushing:

The 241's and 261's both have the plastic bit on the inside of the carb almost going down the inlet throat. I've removed it on a 261 but must admit it doesn't seem any different in the mid range but at full throttle it seems to have made it worse splutters and pops a bit like over fuelling. At least that's what I thought :confused1:.