What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Guess it must be. He is an old farmer boy about 75 I guess, and has used Stihls, since they were invented.

Could it be that they did use red grease in a tank at one time?

Does anyone remember?

Spud?......

Well they definitely would NOT work like that in a contra, as the oil is level with the fuel tank, and further from the engine

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

... Apparently the saw heats it up so it runs through the pump.

I am seldom speechless, but it was obvious he was right and I was totally wrong, so I opned the door for him when he left.

Perhaps his species is cold blooded. Maybe if he lived outside the UK, he'd be warmed in the morning. Enough that blood would make it to his brain and intelligence would flow from said organ.

Just started on a MS260, presented to me in a cardboard veggi box:001_rolleyes::lol:

First thing is that the piston has had so much wear that a slap has set in and eventually shattered the piston skirt, you can see the reduced thickness of the skirt arrowed in one of the lower pictures. You can quite often hear the slap on older machines on idle.

This machine has had so much wear and slap that the piston has hit the squish band as can be seen on piston crown on the lower photo!

First thing to do was make sure the crank bearings are good - they are fine and smooth running:thumbup: New Meteor piston now in - always a good replacement to the OEM part!

The owner wants the saw ported so taken a look at it and there really isn't much on the table compared to the Husqvarna equivalent.

The uppers can be cut back taking care of the ring ends, the skirts are not too wide - 1mm wider on the replacement piston, so taking care not to go too overboard on the ports, easy for the inexperienced to get caught out - the inlet is close to the ring ends and too much widening will snag the rings, the exhaust can be widened by 1-2mm either side but again, the skirt is a little narrow so gotta be careful.

I have opened up the piston windows, simple and effective in maximising flow without reducing transfer velocity and pressure, I will leave the lowers to keep transfer velocity as high as possible.

The muffler is an abomination and makes the saw sound far too flat so that will get modified in due course:thumbup:

It will be an interesting project once done as it is the first MS260 I have ported and wonder if it will have a bit more go than in standard trim!

DSCF1146.jpg.a48f26c3eef39af6296054471d915708.jpg

DSCF1144.jpg.a8ec8c27d0fcba74fc55aa9d6763896e.jpg

DSCF1145.jpg.dbc21710a6fa6d8f481a143bf714822d.jpg

Just started on a MS260, presented to me in a cardboard veggi box:001_rolleyes::lol:

First thing is that the piston has had so much wear that a slap has set in and eventually shattered the piston skirt, you can see the reduced thickness of the skirt arrowed in one of the lower pictures. You can quite often hear the slap on older machines on idle.

This machine has had so much wear and slap that the piston has hit the squish band as can be seen on piston crown on the lower photo!

First thing to do was make sure the crank bearings are good - they are fine and smooth running:thumbup: New Meteor piston now in - always a good replacement to the OEM part!

The owner wants the saw ported so taken a look at it and there really isn't much on the table compared to the Husqvarna equivalent.

The uppers can be cut back taking care of the ring ends, the skirts are not too wide - 1mm wider on the replacement piston, so taking care not to go too overboard on the ports, easy for the inexperienced to get caught out - the inlet is close to the ring ends and too much widening will snag the rings, the exhaust can be widened by 1-2mm either side but again, the skirt is a little narrow so gotta be careful.

I have opened up the piston windows, simple and effective in maximising flow without reducing transfer velocity and pressure, I will leave the lowers to keep transfer velocity as high as possible.

The muffler is an abomination and makes the saw sound far too flat so that will get modified in due course:thumbup:

It will be an interesting project once done as it is the first MS260 I have ported and wonder if it will have a bit more go than in standard trim!

How did that blue pole saw turn out then Steve ?

Acquired an old husqvarna 480CD which my dad bought in the 80's, he tells me he never maintained the saw just used it very occasionally??? Anyway got ideas of using it for milling (don't laugh), I put some fuel in it and it fired up after a few pulls, sounds meaty. It leaked fuel and would stall if turned sideways - so I've stripped it down today, the grommet where the fuel line enters the tank was basically sludge which would explain the fuel leak but would this also account for the stalling when turned on its side? Went to Halfords and bought some grommets which I intend to fit tomorrow, is there anything else I should look out for while I'm at it? Chain brake is broken but other than that there is nothing else obvious and it looks pretty clean (for its age), it would be nice to get some use out of it...

Acquired an old husqvarna 480CD which my dad bought in the 80's, he tells me he never maintained the saw just used it very occasionally??? Anyway got ideas of using it for milling (don't laugh), I put some fuel in it and it fired up after a few pulls, sounds meaty. It leaked fuel and would stall if turned sideways - so I've stripped it down today, the grommet where the fuel line enters the tank was basically sludge which would explain the fuel leak but would this also account for the stalling when turned on its side? Went to Halfords and bought some grommets which I intend to fit tomorrow, is there anything else I should look out for while I'm at it? Chain brake is broken but other than that there is nothing else obvious and it looks pretty clean (for its age), it would be nice to get some use out of it...

Yes, it'll work for milling, I'd recommend a carb kit, check around the impulse area for splits and cracks, clean the muffler to get rid of any carbon, probably will need new fuel lines and filter too

Yes, it'll work for milling, I'd recommend a carb kit, check around the impulse area for splits and cracks, clean the muffler to get rid of any carbon, probably will need new fuel lines and filter too

Thanks eddy.

Just looking for spares, carb kit etc as suggested - most are from the states! Anybody else ordered spares from USA? Will import duty and all that stuff apply...?