What's on your bench today?

spudulike

The most important thing in your case (after sharpening the blades) is to find out why they hit.

Did the timing belt slip on the toothed pullies? If it did it was too slack.

Did the timing belt break?

Or have the blades sheared the pegs on the blade bosses (if fitted)

I think the timing belt has slipped and caused them to hit guess hitting the stick that was buried didn't really help maters:blushing: had a quick look earlier and the pegs might be snapped as there not lined up square to the blade. Do you do spares for the snapper as my local place arnt known for being the cheapest or quickest at getting parts

Stihl ms 441 came in, wouldn't run.

Piston is shot litterally anyone any ideas as to whats made it pop?

7E40CFFA-7E1F-4DE6-8EA1-8BF4F6E324D6-3084-0000051935B93CA9_zpsb3d95962.jpg

The cylinder is had it too, ports have big chunks out of them and badly scored.

Jesus effing Christ! Things you probably will need: piston and cylinder, bearings and seals, possibly new crankshaft and rod if they've took a beating too!

It could have been caused by weaknesses in the piston. As rich says, something entering the cylinder, from either end, so check the carb end and muffler end for debris or it could have been incorrectly fueled and baked itself and broken up from that...

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Mmm, nasty one, looks like the piston has popped a lump out of it and it has entered the exhaust port and has dented the top of the piston and damaged the skirt.

The crank bearings will need a good flush out, the inside of the crankcase will need inspecting as well.

You may find that this has bent the rod and or the crank - not a nice one!

Bearings might have survived. It will have stopped pretty fast so if you're lucky nothing has made its way in there.

My 044 was nothing like as extreme, but it had bits of ring and piston skirt sitting around in the crank case. I swilled out the crank case with pump petrol sloshing it right up into the bearings, so that any loose metal sunk to the bottom of the case. I then tipped out the worst, to the front so it didn't go back in the bearings, and stuck a bit of kitchen roll around the crank webs, turning over the crank to drag the paper through with it and pick up the metal residue.

After I'd repeated this a few times to get rid of the worst, I re-filled it with petrol and spun it over for a while to flush the case fully, then repeated. I probably spent an evening flushing the inside of the case clean.

Once done, I stuck it back together with a cheap chinese pot and piston and ran it. That was two years ago, haven't done anything to it since and it does a lot of milling (it's permanently mounted to the Ripsaw). At one point the 066 wasn't working so I stuck the 044 on a 36" bar on the Alaskan and ran it flat out. I wouldn't say the saw was happy doing it, but it did it.

I took the view that the most likely cause was a faulty part, so there was no reason to go looking further. In my case this proved correct.

Alec

Its a good one thats for sure! dont think they will spend on it though, could this be a weak piston? or a flaw?

It could be a crack during casting, and I don't think the Germans are THAT anal to X-ray every piston and cylinder

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

I think the timing belt has slipped and caused them to hit guess hitting the stick that was buried didn't really help maters:blushing: had a quick look earlier and the pegs might be snapped as there not lined up square to the blade. Do you do spares for the snapper as my local place arnt known for being the cheapest or quickest at getting parts

Sorry, I do not keep Snapper parts. I can get them but it takes a few days.