What's on your bench today?

spudulike

I had an interesting problem on saturday. I had serviced a mower with a 3.5hp Briggs Classic engine about 6 weeks ago. The owner called to say she had occasional starting trouble, so I went out to check. It would start fine for around 9 out of 10 pulls, but once in a while it would catch and pull the rope handle out of your hands with tremendous force. I have had similar cases many times, but never as severe. (It strained the ligaments in my forearm, they still hurt)

Sometimes its carbon build up on the head, so took the head off, cleaned it, no different. Any way this should have been consistant.

Sometimes the flywheel key has sheared just a little, moving the timing. Checked it, OK. (and should be consistant)

Sometimes its valve clearance, so exhaust off and checked. OK.

So... sump off and fitted new camshaft. Rebuilt and tested, now OK, Phew!!!

What was the problem??? I dont know for sure, but I think the decompressor lever was occasionaly sticking.

[ATTACH]122343[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]122344[/ATTACH]

This little nugget of information about the decompressor being on the camshaft helped tremendously today - 13hp Chinese honda copy on a large splitter. A wee bit of rubbish (never did work out what it was) stopping the lever moving. Never would have known to look here if I hadn't read this.

Arbtalk helps again - Thanks Barrie

our Mountfield 725m is well over 10years old , only ever had to replace the cutter cable as is had been routed next to the exhaust, went to drive it outta the shed and it was making a loud clicking noise from the axle... stripped it down and the gears are all worn, went to local agent and they wanted £220 for a new axle even though its only the 4 gears I need. Any ideas on fixing the axle without spending so much moolah.

Cheers Gav

If you've got the parts off, it's worth having a look here to see if you can match them:

HPC Gears Home page

Alec

This little nugget of information about the decompressor being on the camshaft helped tremendously today - 13hp Chinese honda copy on a large splitter. A wee bit of rubbish (never did work out what it was) stopping the lever moving. Never would have known to look here if I hadn't read this.

Arbtalk helps again - Thanks Barrie

I'm glad it helped Bob, hope life in Mull is still good.

Stihl 009 that I thought I'd finished with. Was starting and running great. Wouldn't start tonight after being systematic about it finally got to the trigger and the starting throttle lock mechanism. Even though it sounds like it is doing something when i go through the process of engaging it its not. when I have the air filter off and can see into the carb it's clearly not opening the throttle butterfly at all. Am wondering has the wire (throttle rod)from trigger to carb stretched - is this common - i'm sure i put it baclk on the right hole - although there are lots on the carb?

So will only start if I hod trigger open with one hand and pull with the other - not so keen on this.

Any ideas? Common problem?

Cheers folks

Stihl 009 that I thought I'd finished with. Was starting and running great. Wouldn't start tonight after being systematic about it finally got to the trigger and the starting throttle lock mechanism. Even though it sounds like it is doing something when i go through the process of engaging it its not. when I have the air filter off and can see into the carb it's clearly not opening the throttle butterfly at all. Am wondering has the wire (throttle rod)from trigger to carb stretched - is this common - i'm sure i put it baclk on the right hole - although there are lots on the carb?

So will only start if I hod trigger open with one hand and pull with the other - not so keen on this.

Any ideas? Common problem?

Cheers folks

Think it's either the 2nd or 3rd hole on the carb, failing that, I have a dead 009 if you need some bits

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

echo strimmer parts - helpanti vibe mounts all broke when machine dropped - rubber separated from metal - anybody ever stuck rubber to metal like that (jb weld??) on av mounts - they also hold the shaft and clutch to the body of the strimmer.

the part number on echo SRM-302BDX is Echo 61090504930 as far as i can see.

any body recommend an echo dealer / parts store?

thanks folks

HELP

i have a husqvarna strimmer, the exhaust has fallen off, due to bolts working lose, tried tighting, but they just spin!

Help what can i do?

glue the bolt back in to hold?

Not sure if there is enough space to use a helicoil. Failing that jb weld it.